Gibson Brands Forums

Epi AJ18SNA ...... any info ???

RSDx

Mrs. RSD bought this for me 8 or 9 years ago to get me back into playing. Have since picked up an Epi LP Standard + , but...that's for another forum. Anyway, I can't seem to find any info on this particular model (am assuming it's a very base model, but it sounds/plays good enough for me - I play acoustic when the situation dictates, but prefer electric...but I digress). Safe to assume it's no longer produced (at least under that model #)........ I like the guit, just wondering if anyone else has one and/or could shed more light on exactly what this guitar is and isn't. Thanks in advance.

Mrs. RSD bought this for me 8 or 9 years ago to get me back into playing. Have since picked up an Epi LP Standard + ' date=' but...that's for another forum. Anyway, I can't seem to find any info on this particular model (am assuming it's a very base model, but it sounds/plays good enough for me - I play acoustic when the situation dictates, but prefer electric...but I digress). Safe to assume it's no longer produced (at least under that model #)........ I like the guit, just wondering if anyone else has one and/or could shed more light on exactly what this guitar is and isn't. Thanks in advance.[/quote']

I bought my son an AJ-18SE (natural finish) about seven or eight years ago which is probably the same guitar you have but with a transducer pickup under the bridge. I did quite a bit of investigation at the time and for the money it seemed to be the best value and bang for the buck at the price point-I think paid around $275 with a pretty nice hard case. Solid top, good string balance, typical AJ body bass and volume. No, it's not a post-war J-45 but a good guitar for the money. The one I bought was made by Samick in Korea in 1999 and it didn't have the gingerbread of the upper level models but I was happy with it, my son is happy with it (he still has it and he's been in the Air Force since 1999 and it's traveled the world with him and stayed in one piece) and I'm pretty fussy about acoustic guitars.

...and Al's your uncle.

The AJ18-SE is nice guitar; I had one.

Your guitar has a solid spruce top with laminated sides and back. You can check the date your guitar was manufactured by entering your serial number here:

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx

I hope this helps.

Thanks, y'all ..... Yeah, I had previously checked the serial # there, it's a '99 made in the Zaozhuang Saehan, China plant..... just couldn't find any info as to what quality level the guitar is.... plays/sounds/feels just fine, I still play it when the need arises, but have since fallen deeply in love with my new honeyburst Epi Les Paul Std+ :-({|= Thanks again, Iconoclast and geelinus, for the replies. My aj18 has made more than several camping trips over the years, and it's always fun sitting around jamming with the young'uns on the same trip who've brought instruments of whatever sort.... but I'd forgotten how much fun the electric is - my old electric guitar/amp, both fairly cheap, were destroyed in moving several years back, and my wife bought me the acoustic to "fill the void" . Since this year was a relatively "major" birthday (the big 5-0) she decided I should treat myself to a new electric, and I ended up with my LP. Great times, indeed !!!

Archived