Gibson Brands Forums

LPs Crack in Neck at Nut

petepfarr

Hello,

First time poster and new Epi owner here.

My wife bought an Epi LP Studio from Musicians Friend for a gift for me. I loved everything about it, except that it had a crack in neck that started at the nut and wrapped around to the back. I couldn't tell if it was just the finish or something structural. In any event, we sent it back. They were out of the same color and I didn't like any others they had in the studio line, so we upgraded to the standard plain top (I'm happy to have the trapazoids, anyway).

So I received the plain top today and I couldn't believe it: same thing. It actually starts from both ends of the nut and is worse on this one. The cracks this time run more or less in a straight line towards the body and are about 3" long. Also, this time I can tell that it's more than just the finish.

My question is, has anyone else experienced this or am I just really unlucky? Does anyone have any information on this problem? Should I try sending it back again and getting a third guitar or just get our money back? I really do love everything about these guitars except for the cracks. Thanks in advance for your help.

-Pete

Oooooooh Yeah... I ordered a '57 Les Paul Junior from Musician's friend not too long ago... It arrived with cracks in the neck originating from the nut... Then I ordered another one... Same thing, only worse this time... Unfortunately, they didn't have any more left after I got the second one (it was a Limited Edition), so I had to take a refund...

You're not unlucky, this seems to happen all the time... MF doesn't seem to want to bother with packing their guitars properly.. When I called to complain about it, they said: "You should have called your order in and had it shipped with FedEx..." Like it was MY fault they sent me 2 broken guitars! My advice is; send the LP back for a refund... Then take your money over to Sweetwater... You hardly ever hear any complaints about them...

Oh, Musician's Friend will sometimes give an in-house credit to make up for the inconvenience... (They gave me $30) But you have to make a squeaky wheel of yourself... They won't volunteer it... I couldn't get anyone to even volunteer an apology after TWO broken guitars!

So I waited until they had a sale on accessories and used the the 15% off discount code, PLUS the $30 off and got a $70 case for about $30... And that's the LAST time they'll ever see me again...

BTW, don't bother with Music 123, either.. They're the same company...

Yep me too. I live in the UK and i ordered an epiphone LP custom a few weeks back and it arrived with a crack at the nut area. It was quite small, but i was able to lift the fingerboard away from the neck slightly and the paint was also craking around that area. Fortunately the shop dealt with it immediately and sent me another which is perfect. This seems to be quite a common problem cause i've seen a couple being sold on ebay with exactlyu the same damage.

Yep, my new Honeyburst had the same problem (and I got mine at GC), so maybe it's a structural defect or careless shipping from China?

Keeping mine though. The tech fixed it (no charge - and he waranteed his work...in writing!) to the extent it can't even be seen anymore and they took $200 off the sale, so I got a nice Standard + top for $349. I can live with that!

Hey, thanks everyone for the responses. That helps. I think I'll try getting our money back and going the Sweetwater route.

Now here's a question that might be scary: For anyone who's had this problem, was it always an existing condition upon receiving the guitar, or has it ever developed over time? I'd hate to finally get what I believed to be a good one and then have the crack appear months or years down the road. But, I guess that's what the warranty is for.

Thanks again.

Now here's a question that might be scary: For anyone who's had this problem' date=' was it always an existing condition upon receiving the guitar, or has it ever developed over time?[/quote']

In my personal experience, no. Unless the guitar is dropped on its headstock or you go screwing around with the truss rod without knowing what you're doing (hey, it does happen!), don't waste your time worrying about it.

While your guitar may be new, the technology behind it isn't. They're designed to withstand the stresses on the neck.

I've yet to see even a $40 POS spontaneously self destruct.

I've yet to see even a $40 POS spontaneously self destruct.

I had a $30 acoustic guitar that had steel strings on it (factory strings) when I was 15, never learned to play. I did tune it versus a piano, got the low E at the right spot, then when I got to the G string the bridge exploded.

Archived