Gibson Brands Forums

I borrowed my sons mp3 player and...

slide-n-bend

I can't believe some of the stuff he's got here! How about "Wipe Out" and a bunch of Queen stuff' date=' AC/DC, Zep......the old stuff just can't die, it's so da*n good! ('Course there's lots of new stuff I [i']won't[/i] listen to!)
Wipeout !!! Now THAT's cool for a kid to listen to... LOL ..... same here when I look at my 15 yr old daughter's itunes........heck of a lot of Beatles, Queen, Ramones even......plus some newer stuff we both like - Cake, Spoon, Bare Naked Ladies. Kids can sure surprise ya, eh ?

I work with teens so my ears get "exposed" to lot's of music but it always makes me smile when I hear some Doors, Dylan, Animals or some such leaking out of some youngsters earbuds. Some of the stuff they are listening to was old even when I was young!

A few weeks back a young man was asking if I had ". . .ever heard of Muddy Waters? He's incredible!" Yes he is young boss, yes he is. . . I loaned him my Last Waltz DVD and he loaned me Nirvana Unplugged.

N

My son had good tunes on his ipod.

I asked him were he heard them - Guitar Hero Video Games.

O:)

That's where I learned to play guitar ;p

... Not kidding. I've got a book (Fretboard Mastery) that teaches you to hear where the notes are on the guitar, I can listen to some lead stuff now (I'm not into chords yet!) and just pick out where it is, play it back.

I managed to adjust my Special II (pickups height!) to where if i set the volume on my amp it sounds ALMOST like Slash's (direct comparison) but I should have gone with more powerful pickups than DiMarzio Steve's Specials, like Super Distortions or something normal in Alnico instead of Ceramic. I also don't have nearly the sustain. (btw, I've had a guitar in my hand since Jan 9 ;)

This is a really interesting topic. Im currently taking a Rock and Roll music class in university and this topic did come up.

A idea that came up is that the younger generations of music listeners just cant seem to find their identity in today's popular mainstream music. Personally I listen to music from before my time because it seems that there is a lot more quality back then than there is now. (To my ears)

Pop music is a formula, and there are people that are very good with that formula. Pop music is often more "general", right down to the common themes and pronouns. "I" "We" "Our" "You", all very general.....This is music simply generated to well...generate money. Not to challenge you, not to make you think, but to make you bob your head or to possibly get you to "get low" or "shake your moneymaker" It doesnt make your musical taste any worse or greater than others', its all opinion. I guess its entirely possible that "unique" and "thought provoking" music may not sell well to the masses, so the mainstream takes the safe proven route.

Just for fun look at the lyrics for Love Me Do by the Beatles, and then look at the lyrics for I Am The Walrus by the Beatles. I know the Beatles are a really unique experience, and have great variety, so theyre a real easy example for me to use...but there is a perfect example between the "general" themes and the more "unique" stuff.

A idea that came up is that the younger generations of music listeners just cant seem to find their identity in today's popular mainstream music.

Pop music is a formula' date=' and there are people that are very good with that formula.....This is music simply generated to well...generate money.[/quote']

No, you're almost there. Let me paint the picture for you.

1) Recording industry (actually BMI I think) publishes the charts, and thus only tracks and publishes numbers on their own (and affiliate RIAA labels) music

2) Recording industry (RIAA affiliates) gets almost exclusive play on radio (due to (1))

3) Recording industry (RIAA affiliates) publishers select bands that have a "salable image," that meaning the band has stage presence and a cool look, something the market into their music will see and buy (how will you look in a concert? On a t-shirt?)

4) Of the bands selected in (3), those with a sound similar to today's "hot" music stay; discard the rest.

5) Of the bands selected in (4), those generating some sort of tolerable noise stay; discard the rest.

6) If ever a band selected in (5) publishes a song with a completely new sound and it hits the charts, use that for future incarnations of (4).

There are many cases where bands get told they sound "awesome" but they're not sure they have "the image" and won't get a contract. There are a lot of non-mainstream bands under independent publishing that circumvent this problem, but don't get much attention.

You DO need an image, and you DO need popularity; but if your music isn't today's "cool sound" it doesn't matter. The only way for a good sounding band to break away from that is to stop getting all giddy about their latest MP3 upload on MySpace and start asking to perform at bars or back-yard parties, for money if possible or gratis if not. When you're the talk of the neighborhood, news travels. To blogs maybe, or maybe someone passing through (friend of a cousin coming to visit?) sees you dancing and jamming on a makeshift stage at some back-yard party and asks for a CD, you give a few and they pass them out back home.

As long as the current illegal trust of companies (cooperating competitors?) controls the industry, this will be the way it is. This is also why purely electronic bands never catch on, even with good music... (oh yeah, your stuff's impossible to perform live, we can't sell that)

Yup, im familiar with that song and dance, however I was just trying to speak as to why people around my generation like to listen to music that is a part of past generations. You hit the nail on the head when it comes to the "soulless" system we have in todays music.

Im a relatively young guy, and I know I like a lot more of the 'oldies' as opposed to the new stuff made today. As I said in my previous post, to me there seems to be a lack of quality in a lot of todays music. Thats just my opinion.

The system is as skewed as it is, all in search of easy comfortable ways to obtain the mighty dollar. And I believe that we all can agree on that.

Archived