Gibson Brands Forums

hi,guys.can anyone check my epiphone with serial number wf02030527

kalara

serial number wf02030527.......it's so wierd.can anyone tell me where was it made in?

Info:

The letters starting the serial #.

OEM Gibson/Epiphone (EE) China

There are many more including:

OEM Daewon (DW) China

OEM Unsung (UC) China

OEM Unsung (U) Korea

OEM Saien (I) Korea

OEM Samick (SI) Indonesia (lower end specials, 310's, bolt ons)

obviously, no WF in this list!

12043875130.jpg

or maybe it's fake :(

thanks for your help.I had a little idea of this.MAYBE(though i hope not) it's a fake one,however there's nothing shows the existence of such a factory use WF as their serial number.now i'm sending an email to gibson and wait...

gibson's custom service are really good.i sent the photo of details and waiting for their reply.but before that,i got the reply from ace guitar shop.for their web page about distinguishing a fake Epiphone here:

http://aceguitarshop.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22&Itemid=2

i sent them an email too.

their reply:

RE: please help me with my epiphone?

Sent: Monday, March 10, 2008 9:57:34 AM

Reply-to: Ace Guitar Shop (aceguitarshop@earthlink.net)

To: (gala_jia@hotmail.com)

Hello Kalara, K..... from what I can see.... It's Real. NOW..... it's had some mods.... someone change the original truss cover with a Gibson cover AND... the tuning pegs are vintage kluson's and the pegs themselves look to be of vintage stock. Possibly off a Vintage Epi or Gibson. Most likely from the same guitar that the truss cover came off of which would place them as Vintage Gibson tuners. Gibo DID use Kluson tuners on some of the old LP's and SG's. Someone was trying to make the guitar look like a better quality guitar than it actually is. All in all.... it's a decent Epiphone Les Paul. The pickups are real Epiphone. The body.... probably solid basswood but can't tell for sure. It doesn't have a flame to the top which would indicate perhaps a solid Maple body. Defintely looks more like a solid basswood body. From the pics I would date it as a early-Mid 70's Epi LP with mods. Perhaps originally an Epiphone re-issue of a mid 60's Gibo. May have been refinished from it's original finish as well.

Brian/Ace Guitar Shop

a really inspiring conclusion!

gibson's custom service are really good.i sent the photo of details and waiting for their reply.but before that' date='i got the reply from ace guitar shop.for their web page about distinguishing a fake Epiphone here:

http://aceguitarshop.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22&Itemid=2

i sent them an email too.

their reply:

RE: please help me with my epiphone?

Sent: Monday, March 10, 2008 9:57:34 AM

Reply-to: Ace Guitar Shop (aceguitarshop@earthlink.net)

To: (gala_jia@hotmail.com)

Hello Kalara, K..... from what I can see.... It's Real. NOW..... it's had some mods.... someone change the original truss cover with a Gibson cover AND... the tuning pegs are vintage kluson's and the pegs themselves look to be of vintage stock. Possibly off a Vintage Epi or Gibson. Most likely from the same guitar that the truss cover came off of which would place them as Vintage Gibson tuners. Gibo DID use Kluson tuners on some of the old LP's and SG's. Someone was trying to make the guitar look like a better quality guitar than it actually is. All in all.... it's a decent Epiphone Les Paul. The pickups are real Epiphone. The body.... probably solid basswood but can't tell for sure. It doesn't have a flame to the top which would indicate perhaps a solid Maple body. Defintely looks more like a solid basswood body. From the pics I would date it as a early-Mid 70's Epi LP with mods. Perhaps originally an Epiphone re-issue of a mid 60's Gibo. May have been refinished from it's original finish as well.

Brian/Ace Guitar Shop

a really inspiring conclusion!

[/quote']

I hate to say this but I think Brian and the good people at Ace Guitar are clueless. I haven't seen your guitar and while I can't make sense of the serial number's factory code, it doesn't take a genius to know that there were NO early-mid 70's Epiphone Les Pauls and as far as I know Epiphone never used basswood in any of their Les Paul models. They did use alder and basswood is often used as a replacement for alder but they didn't use basswood. Gibson and Epiphone have both used Gotoh-made Kluson replicas in recent times and Gibson and Epiphone used the original Klusons extensively on their models prior to Kluson's demise as a company in the early 70's...the rest of this Brian's response is just lame babble and mis-leading. I fully admit that Epiphone Les Pauls are not my area of expertise but there are others here who can most certainly give you more accurate information than you've received from the Aces at Ace. Post your photos here and someone will be able to help you. Conventional wisdom dates the guitar to March of 2002 and I'm certain someone here can help further ascertain or refute the authenticity of the guitar. Post some photos.

...and Al's your uncle.

Archived