Gibson Brands Forums

vj combo and lp100 for 199.00

TWANG

Oh sure' date=' :D but we know you must've said something to her that was probably more like ... [b']It's da bomb, baby! [/b] 8-[

Gil...

well. I guess I could have heard 'turn the page' too many times. :-k

Thanks Duffy.

The only screws I see on the tuners are the ones that are holding them down to the headstock. There is a hole that looks like it is filled in with some kind of plastic or rubber cap on the edge. Are you saying there is a perhaps a screw under that cap?

One question on the amp. It seems like when driven hard it distorts with a sound that is kind of "blatty". Kind of like big ripples of distortion on top of the smaller ones. Not sure what that means but that's the only way I know to describe it. I notice it less with my strat than with the LP-100.

I tried one of these amps when they first came out and it just sounded way too muffled. This one is at the bright...almost edgy end of things. Don't get me wrong...I like the amp. My other amp (for years) is a Vox Pathfinder SS' date=' which I always liked...but its a night and day different kind of sound. This thing just sounds much punchier and bigger and has all that complexity of sound going on.[/quote']

the buttons should have a screw on the end of them. that's what he's talking about..and what I replied in the other forum just now..

the amp will overdrive pretty easy with high output buckers.. and sound kind of farty, as well.

you have small speaker. a big signal going in.. fat tone to start with..

try lowering your pickups a bit.. and remember you can back off your guitar volume a bit..

don't blame the amp entirely..

I have to adjust things even with my modded heads..

Thanks Twang. I got the tuner thing figured out.

I'm really in the early stages of getting familiar with the amp. One thing I have finally figured out after several years is that it takes a long time to get to know a piece of gear...even a simple amp with just a volume control. Coupled with two pickups, each with its own level and tone control there are a lot of combination and permutations for settings. I'm finding it easier to get a sound I like through the vjr with the strat. Probably because I know it so much better. I've never had humbuckers before so your insight is helpful.

Tort.. they are easier with single coils, I think. modded or not.

and you're right, time and having fun get you right along.

strangedogs is cracking me up. He's got 28 of those deals and he's just as antsy about them as I am about my one!

mine says in transit.. but what they really mean is sitting in a warehouse until monday.

I'm ANTSY! :D I'm keepin' 1 for me ;) Tortuga is the amp in a separate box or a big "combo" box? Just wanna know as I'm doing up HTML for the auctions and not sure if we'll need to get boxes for the amps - we're separating the amps and guitars on most of them - the guitars and extras will ship in the original box but may have to get boxes for the VJ's. Need to know for the shipping calculator as I have to charge for the box, beans, tape, etc...

The amp is in its own box inside a larger box that contains both the guitar and the amp. But the guitar does not have a box of its own. Its packed in the gig bag. At least that's how mine was. There's probably enough box and cardboard in the whole thing to fabricate a box for the guitar but you will need to double box it. Its going to be some work for sure. With that many you may just want to hire out the packing to MBE or buy some prefabricated boxes suitable for a guitar and be done with it.

I'm surprised MF let you buy that many. I would have expected a one per order limit considering the idea of the stupid deal is to attract traffic to the website. Hope it all works out for you!

One question on the amp. It seems like when driven hard it distorts with a sound that is kind of "blatty". Kind of like big ripples of distortion on top of the smaller ones. Not sure what that means but that's the only way I know to describe it. I notice it less with my strat than with the LP-100.

It's highly doubtful that the pickups in a cheapie cheap guitar would be anything but mere noisemakers. Aside from tuners, which are also surely lacking, that would be the first thing I'd be shopping for. If you want a brighter, less assaulting tone from the guitar, shop for pups with low output, such as PAF copies or re-issues. While you're under the hood, check to see that the volume pots are 500k. If they're 250k, replace them when you replace the pups. Check the value of the tone caps...you can also adjust those accordingly. And yes, pup height makes a difference too.

I bought a few... quite a few actually. Look out Ebay! I check the DEAL OF THE DAY every morning @ 4:30 - we sell on Ebay whenever we find bargains

so that is why they were out of stock when I bought one tonight for $249.00 8-[

you missed one, they had one cherry sunburst or what ever color that was.

Archived