Gibson Brands Forums

vj combo and lp100 for 199.00

TWANG

stupid deal of the day at MF.

includes the Epiphone LP-100 electric guitar, Valve Jr. Class-A Tube amplifier, premium gigbag, chromatic tuner, premium leather strap, 20' premium cord, guitar stand, and picks.

149.00 for the combo alone..

259.00 for the guitar..

plus some 'stuff'?

I just bought one. *L*

I bought a few... quite a few actually. Look out Ebay! I check the DEAL OF THE DAY every morning @ 4:30 - we sell on Ebay whenever we find bargains - last year it was Ipods - this Xmas it was DeWalt Drill Packs. We have a 475 feedback rating with 99.2% Positive. We buy a lot on there too.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=pandabare_jax&ftab=AllFeedback

28. you madman. *G*

good luck.

everyone keep an eye on ebay and we'll see how greedy strange dogs can get.

We expect to see 75.00 vj combos all over the place!!!!

;-)

TWANG~

That was a deal for sure...but I honestly wouldn't want to have to stand behind 28 of those guitars shipped in factory boxes with no case......sounds like headstock break hell to me.#-o Just remember that all boxes shipped via ups or fedex will get dropped from 4' or more at least twice in transit. It's why you see soooo many broken headstock Epi's for sale on Fleabay. If you can get em from point A to point B intact you stand to make a good piece of change though ! Best of luck.

wow. that's quite a statement. I could go with they 'might' get dropped but for sure?

On the other hand, I've had guitars in hardcases, two of them, get snapped headstocks!

It's just that I've gotten so much elec. hardware. heads etc.. with no problem that I find

it hard to believe any of it would survive that!

Not that you don't have a point. It'll be interesting to have strangedogs report on what he winds up with.

small boxes with styro at pressure points.. that's about as good as it will be with the lp100s so MF should be able

to tell them, and being a good shipper, get some consideration?

Or am I dreaming again!

wow. that's quite a statement. I could go with they 'might' get dropped but for sure?

On the other hand, I've had guitars in hardcases, two of them, get snapped headstocks!

It's just that I've gotten so much elec. hardware. heads etc.. with no problem that I find

it hard to believe any of it would survive that!

Not that you don't have a point. It'll be interesting to have strangedogs report on what he winds up with.

small boxes with styro at pressure points.. that's about as good as it will be with the lp100s so MF should be able

to tell them, and being a good shipper, get some consideration?

Or am I dreaming again!

Well when getting packages certified for DOT tests they drop test from 18" to 60" Twang....so I hate to tell ya theres a really good chance that they are gonna get banged around.

Here is a little snippet from someone who worked for UPS:

UPS, Fedex, USPS, etc. do not dedicate a person to put your package on their lap and hand carry the package, although this is what some people must think. The reality is they all consolidate as many packages as possible into a big truck. This means packages stacked on packages until there are packages touching the eight foot high ceiling. I've seen some trucks with a sign on the back saying 100" high or 102" high which is a little more than 8 feet.

To unload the truck a conveyor belt is slid into the truck and the packages are pulled down and allowed to drop onto he belt which takes them to the dock. There are variations on this theme but it's part of standard practice to drop the box some distance that varies from a couple of feet to seven feet. This process gets repeated at each consolidation center. Typically there are two centers between the sender and the receiver.

I'm gonna have to get off the fence and go with the assume fer sherr they'll drop it kind of folks. I can't remember ever seeing a large box delivered in pristine perfect condition. The bigger it is, the more they abuse it. A lot of stuff makes it intact in spite of shipping, but still, s**t happens and will continue to happen long after the delivery.

I have a '79 walnut The Paul that's been down dozens of times. The headstock is badly chewed up on the edges and thoroughly beat to hell, but it's still miraculously intact. The neck is starting to shift in the pocket and the end of the fretboard now has a corner I can stick a piece of paper in between it and the neck. Even so, it still rocks!

But I had a three month old '96 Jimmy Page LP signature on a stand, and made the simple mistake of leaving it behind for a quick trip to the bathroom. I heard it hit the floor with a snap of the headstock just before I heard the cats scattering. Since then, I've had to live with the knowledge that one of my cats is a freekin' axe murderer! :-s

But a broken neck is NOT the end of the world! The guitar got resurrected and heavily modded, and it's far superior to what it was when new and still in stock (for JP-LP) form. The cats (still breathing, sucking up food, and getting rabies shots) won't be so lucky in their ultimate end.

Gil...

I've had some bad experiences myself although I pack REALLY well. Here is one that cost me a few beans.....Bastards!

thanksUPS.jpg That guitar was double boxed in a quilted padded gig bag and wrapped in bubble wrap with no voids in the packing material at all! Tell me that one didn't get dropped from 7 or 8 feet!

axe murderer. *G*

well.. I can't argue.. I had thought it was more a question of some individuals just not giving a damn. maybe even being nasty after a hard day.

I've gotten two broken headstocks IN hardshell cases.

I would have sworn that in order to do that you'd have to slam them headstock down at least three times.

UPS paid for 'em. I still have to fix 'em.. kinda down on the list right now.

crap now I'm gonna worry all weekend.

If they break the guitar, MF will want the whole package back, as per usual.

and they are out of the package at least as a stupid deal.. be interesting to see if they'll help me out or just say too bad.

My ups driver is such a great guy.. really careful, and never grumpy when I have lots of stuff. or heavy stuff.. I always try to help him carry it out or in, too.

these guys have such restraints on time. anything goofed up and he's gone.. got to be labelled right and so forth or he'll drive off and come back tomorrow.

I can remember Carvin shipping me pa gear.. board and speakers.. every box was markeds contains glass all over the place..

and the trucking guys let me pick it up at their shop.. they were all like.. is that really glass?

So I stretched the truth a bit and said, well, glass components.. tubes.. It was all solid state.. but I stood there looking at them and thought. these guys are just dieing to toss carvin stuff all over hell cause it's so heavy, I'm not going to give them an excuse.

Can I possibly suggest NOT SHIPPING UNDER STRING TENSION?!

A good shock under tension might just give you the destabilization you need. Not to the headstock, just to the body in general, and then resonating up through the headstock which has strings pulling on it and WHAM!

Can I possibly suggest NOT SHIPPING UNDER STRING TENSION?!

A good shock under tension might just give you the destabilization you need. Not to the headstock' date=' just to the body in general, and then resonating up through the headstock which has strings pulling on it and WHAM![/quote']

With all due respect I always de-tune guitars when shipping and when they are dropped from those heights string tension is not the issue ace!

Could've been where it all started to go wrong with my Jimmy P. It arrived strung up and tuned down only a half step to a D. And a saddle slot for the B string was hammered way off center from a bad factory "setup", but that's another matter entirely. But that neck had probably been stressed during shipment and was just waiting for a chance to pop.

Gil...

UPS lady once made me take a guitar out of box and prove it was detuned.

I think she really just thought hippie shipping large quantities of illegal substance..

cause she was an awful ***** about the whole thing.

I'm sorry this thread kinda disolved into a UPS rant and all I was trying to do was point out the shipping damage potential in factory packing. Nuff said#-o I've heard that DHL handles with the most care and I know of a couple high end amp makers who will use only DHL. I don't know... I tend to think they are all about the same?

UPS lady once made me take a guitar out of box and prove it was detuned.

I think she really just thought hippie shipping large quantities of illegal substance..

That's awesome twang, how do I fit a half a kilo of coke in my solid body les paul?

no rant here.. my probs with UPS have been few and very far between.

blue.. I have no idea. but if you sniff on it a while' date=' I'm sure you'll figure it out.

[/quote']

no twang I meant I was the one ranting....I've had a few mishaps with both UPS and Fedex so that may be why?

DHL delivered some guitars to me that were in soaking wet boxes.

I talked the driver into standing there while I unboxed before I'd sign for acceptance.

Everything was ok. but man.. nearly dripping wet.

everyone seems to be still up in the air as to whether the lp is mahogany or alder or basswood.

all the mags have it as mahogany for burst and alder for solid..

but people keep saying basswood..

I'll know once I get it.

But it's bad this false advertising.

Some folks are going to expect the maple cap some say, inc. epi, that it has.

certainly they will expect mahogany or alder.

there's no need for epi to be that sloppy!

I'm copying my post from the other LP-100 thread in the guitars forum here...in case anyone missed that one. Hope that doesn't annoy:

I received my shipment last night of the LP-100 Stupid Deal. I wouldn't know one wood from another but the box says mahongany body with carved maple top. Quality seems real good to me but to be fair I'm not any kind of guitar expert at all so that doesn't mean a whole lot. The action is lower than I expected and there's no fret buzz or anything. The only obvious weak point I see is the tuners feel like they don't have enough friction in them. They feel like they turn too easy. Is there anyway to tighten that...or would they just need to be replaced with better ones?

Love that little valve junior. Honestly, I don't see how its possible to make and ship a guitar and amp like this all for $200. The box was huge and weighed 45 pounds. I'll also say its a miracle nothing was damaged the way it was packaged. The guitar was packed in the gig bag and just slid down the back side of the box with the (boxed) amp right next to it. If the box was ever lying on its back the amp would be lying right on top of the guitar, presumably with all the weight pressing on the top backside of the headstock. I thought sure the headstock would be snapped or the neck would be warped but I can see no bow in it at all.

Tightening the tuners.

On the outside of the bean shaped tuner knobs you will notice a small phillips head screw. Tighten them slowly and check the turning tension. It should give more resistance. Do this so all are about equal but you don't want to over tighten them. Just enough tension to feel. Then play it and see how it holds tune. It might be excellent like some of my inexpensive guitars are.

That amp is a really good amp. You can get a guitar multipedal with a wah pedal attached for very cheap like a Korg AX5G that will have all kinds of effects and you will never notice that the amp has only one knob. That is a quality amp. Probably better quality than the guitar. Those amps are highly thought of by many amp experts.

Have lots of fun with it. New strings will make a big difference. The cheap chinesse ones usually are sounding sub standard.

Duffy

Thanks Duffy.

The only screws I see on the tuners are the ones that are holding them down to the headstock. There is a hole that looks like it is filled in with some kind of plastic or rubber cap on the edge. Are you saying there is a perhaps a screw under that cap?

One question on the amp. It seems like when driven hard it distorts with a sound that is kind of "blatty". Kind of like big ripples of distortion on top of the smaller ones. Not sure what that means but that's the only way I know to describe it. I notice it less with my strat than with the LP-100.

I tried one of these amps when they first came out and it just sounded way too muffled. This one is at the bright...almost edgy end of things. Don't get me wrong...I like the amp. My other amp (for years) is a Vox Pathfinder SS, which I always liked...but its a night and day different kind of sound. This thing just sounds much punchier and bigger and has all that complexity of sound going on.

so far I have delivery showing on the 18th for 3 - the rest (3 separate orders) are showing "being picked" - just called Customer Service but on Saturday they can't really tell me anything - just that they're SOLD OUT - yeah... I KNOW THAT. I'm calling Monday to speak with the Warehouse. The bank shows another 10 came out last night but they (MF Customer Service) don't know anything... HOPEFULLY I'll get at least 13 and maybe the other 15 too if "it's in the cards"... their Customer Service is sad on the weekend to say the least... my wife will inspect each box carefully and open any that look "suspicious" in front of the UPS man (if he'll stay long enough) - but we will open every one and examine them all before we resell them. I'll probably try to do a simple setup on them as well... this might be a pain in the butt.

Archived