Gibson Brands Forums

It's friday, about the end of the work day on the east coast, time for a stupid question..

Sheik Yerbouti

I like a very thin pick for strumming an acoustic (a Guild JF-30) because it produces a nice percussive sound.

When playing electric, I tend to stick with a heavier pick because inevitably, there's going to be some licks or solos, and they're harder to play with a thin pick. At least, for me.

Went through Ice-Pix for a while .88 to .96 to 1.5 and I still like them but moved over to Dunlop Big Stubbys in the average, (not small), size - in 1.5 or 2.0, which I still use occasionally. My absolute favorite to date though is the Fred Kelly Poly Fat Flat. Average sized, kinda sharp, dark green or dark blue, and translucent like the Dunlop Stubbys. Kinda got the cat tounge thing going on, unlike the Stubby's dimple depressions. Really wish either of these were available in Delrin though. Tried the JazzIII's but the small size still kinda puts me off...does anybody other than pros use those things? There was an article in Guitar World some months back and it seemed like just about everybody famous interviewed used 'em either black or red and had a color prefrence. Eric Johnson even speced out the plastic formulation on his custom ordered ones from Dunlop based against a stash of vintage JazzIII's he had: stating that the new/current ones didn't have the same feel on the strings as the older ones. I guess you've really made it when you start dictating the molecular structure of the plastic that goes into your custom made plectrums. On the occasion that I want a little flex for stumming, I've been pretty impressed by the DAVA Controls. Sorta stiff but it has a built in horizontal score across it that makes it consistant in attack response. Hasn't happened yet, but I feel that eventual work hardening is gonna snap it off right in that slit. I'm always on the lookout for the perfect pick and so far nothing I've tried seems to work as well as the Fred Kelly stuff. Wedgie

Archived