Gibson Brands Forums

Dot Studio?

Baker

Hey guys, I've come to this forum before and it's usuall y got whatever answers I need, but I couldn't find a topic on this question.

I know that the studio's PUPs are supposedly hotter than the standard Dot, but I wanted to hear some opinions about 'em. Also, are there any unusual issues that seem to plague the guitar? You know, loose knobs, bad necks, or anything like that. I've been absolutely craving a semi-hollow, and the Dot Studio seems to be the best suited for me, and that price.... I can't really resist. But before I go and spend $250, I just wanted to be sure it's a quality guitar. What do you guys think about them?

The stock pickups on the Dot Studio are indeed hotter than the standard Dot - one of the things I didn't like about my Dot Studio before I switched pickups (GFS Mean 90s) but those who like hot pickups might be fine with them. Fit and finish seems to be all over the place, though. Mine's a B-stock/second item ($199 at MF) but looks better than many A-stock ones I've seen. Overall a good deal in this price range, even with a meager outlay for pickups.

The B-stock/"used" Studios should be a safe bet since they have been inspected, repaired and set up by a pro instead of just some kid putting the "inspected by" stickers on them :)

That's the problem we have here in Scandinavia - the shops are left with the job of checking the guitars for problems and doing the setup, there's no "Epiphone quality center" in Europe. You know, we actually don't have a concept called "blemished" in our guitar shops either, everything is supposed to be A grade. If you spot the blems, scratches and other faults in time to negotiate or return the piece, congratulations...

My Dot Studio cost me $120 private party on Craigslist.

I had to resolder the connections but the neck was true, action is very low and fast, sound is very, very dakl. I bought it with the intention of tricking it out with a custom harness and some dream 180's from GFS but the dark tone it has is very appealing to me. Get some awesome surf tones with it.

The fit and finish on mine is on par with anything else out there.

I've been absolutely craving a semi-hollow' date=' and the Dot Studio seems to be the best suited for me, and that price.... I can't really resist. But before I go and spend $250, I just wanted to be sure it's a quality guitar. What do you guys think about them?[/quote']

My forum name is Ibanez before Epiphone for a reason. I have a Dot Studio I purchased in June 2007. I think so highly of it that I have since purchased an Ibanez AM73 and an Ibanez AS93.

I was ready to do a Pete Townsend finally with my Dot but instead I invested $40 into Gotoh hardware and about 2 1/2 in a machine shop modifying bridges and tailpieces to make them fit (see my avatar). Why? because the cost of TonePro hardware that will fit a DS was more than the guitar was worth. Now that all the intonation problems are resolved I'm giving my Dot Studio to my daughter as a birthday gift.

For your price range buy an Ibanez AS73. They are $299 at GC. Spend $50 more and buy a superior guitar you'll be glad you did.

i absolutely love my studio, and everything is completely stock. to be honest, i've never played a regular dot but what i can tell you is that the stock pickups on the studio were way hotter and had a bit more clarity than the stock pups on my LP standard. plus, i love the faded VS finish on mine way more than any color the Dot comes in :)

This Dot Studio has stock wood. Everything else has been changed. The neck has been plekked. I have spent more money on this guitar than you would believe. It has been a test bed for different ideas. In its final version, it is a truly superb player, one that makes you smile just thinking about it...

Sperzel locking tuners

Custom compensated tusq nut

Plekked by Gary Brawer

Seymour Duncan Phatcats, neck and bridge

Custom wiring

Custom pickguard

Tonepros bridge and stopbar

A friend, who's normal guitar is a 1966 Gretsch Country Gentleman, plays this often - not a Gretsch or a Gibson, just a damn fine guitar.

98b97093.jpg

Well, actually, the Dot Studio has the same neck pickup as the Dot but it has the Classic Hot pickup in the bridge position. The uncovered versions of the Alnico Classics are identical to their covered brothers in all other respects.

That being clarified, the Dot Studio, at $325 Cdn street, has got to be THE best deal in an Epiphone guitar today. They are great players and the sound is very good, especially the worn finishes which add a minimum of encapsulation to the natural wood and seem to 'breathe' better. Good hardware all around, elegant looks (personally I prefer the no frills controls and this probably helps to keep the signal clean) and for what they cost it should be impossible to get a guitar this good. Can't go wrong with the Studio.

I've bought one of the VS Studios from Sweetwater last year. Think I paid $300 shipped with the Epi hard case. Probably ranks in the top 3 guitars I've owned. New tuners and other than that I haven't touched a thing besides a basic setup job. Love the fat neck on mine. In other words....BUY IT!!!

Archived