Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone EA-250

Eddie Rondack

I have an EA-250 that's been lying around the house for years... along the way the bridge has been replaced with an ebony one, a couple of the tuners don't work so well, the pickups barely function... etc., etc.

Cosmetically, however, it's in pretty fine shape.

Is there a ready source of parts for these guitars? Can you substitute Gibson ES-335 parts? Anybody have a favorite "easy replacement" pickup for one of these?

By the way, the serial number is 624669 and it says it's made in Japan. Anybody know how to date it?

Is it even remotely worth working on???

I know it's alot of questions... thanks!

I have an EA-250 that's been lying around the house for years... along the way the bridge has been replaced with an ebony one' date=' a couple of the tuners don't work so well, the pickups barely function... etc., etc.

Cosmetically, however, it's in pretty fine shape.

Is there a ready source of parts for these guitars? Can you substitute Gibson ES-335 parts? Anybody have a favorite "easy replacement" pickup for one of these?

By the way, the serial number is 624669 and it says it's made in Japan. Anybody know how to date it?

Is it even remotely worth working on???

I know it's alot of questions... thanks![/color']

Welcome to the forum. Those guitars were made in the early / mid '70s. AFIK, the serial #s are random and not helpful in dating the guitar.

I wouldn't spend a lot of $$$ for Gibson parts for that guitar, you can get decent pickups and tuners for a lot less. You will have to enlarge the tuner holes, but it will be worth it. Check out Guitar Fetish for good quality parts at reasonable prices.

Thanks all! I just ordered humbuckers (clearance), tuners (klusons so I wouldn't have to modify the holes) and a new bridge (Tuneomatic) from Guitar Fetish... all for less than a hundred bucks...

I just love the look and feel of the guitar. Hopefully the changes will shape up the sound... wasn't too much to take a chance, anyway!

My EA250 has been modified with an aluminum Gretsch bridge, diamond tailpeice and new frets. Everything else is tip top. There seem to be many haters around here for that particular guitar but its got a sweet sound and great feel to the neck not to mention it just ages very well in the color tone dept.

• 5 years later...

Hey Eddie .. would you mind posting the model of pups that you purchased? I have the same guitar, trying to find pups that will fit in without any mods to the body or rings. Thx!

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a reply since this thread is over 5 years old, LOL.

Yeah, I noticed that ... didn't want to start a new thread before trying!

Slagger, that's the spirit! [biggrin] Welcome to the forum. Careful, as there are two different types of pickups on EA250's, standard humbuckers (I say standard but check) and the 'staple' type which are much wider routs.I don't know of anything that fits the staple size rout. Got pics? If you've got the staples and want more output, you might find someone to rewind them for no more than the cost of buying new ones.

I had one of those EA250's with the 'staple' type pickups. The cutouts for them were sort of P90 shaped. I thought they had a half decent sound TBH. Nontheless, I fitted a DiMarzio in the bridge position. It wasn't so difficult if you can shape a couple of bits of wood to make up the triangular shaped ends. I've long since traded the guitar on but here's an old pic with the DiMarzio in place.

EA250.jpg

Slagger, that's the spirit! [biggrin] Welcome to the forum. Careful, as there are two different types of pickups on EA250's, standard humbuckers (I say standard but check) and the 'staple' type which are much wider routs.I don't know of anything that fits the staple size rout. Got pics? If you've got the staples and want more output, you might find someone to rewind them for no more than the cost of buying new ones.

Mine are the "staple" type, and they are an odd size. I am taking the guitar down to a local shop today to get their opinion on dropping a regular size humbucker in it. I've tried to post pics, but the ones I have are too big and I'm getting an error message. It looks like Jonnyg's above ^. I will update this post when I get feedback from my luthier ... thx!

The original owner was going to coil split the pickups, so he installed the switches, but they aren't wired yet.

Blimey! Mine measure if I recall correctly, 3.4K. I could be wrong and it could be 4.3K, it was a while ago, but still.... split that and you'll have next to nothing.

• 1 year later...

Hi

I bought Commodore N25 Semi Acoustic Guitar in 1971 and it was made in same Japanese factory then Epiphone EA-250 which is identical except for red/yellow sunburst.

I have three websites on this guitar go to https://sites.google.com/site/commodoren25semiacousticguitar/

Commodore N25 is nice guitar to look at but needs setup and new strings. I hope to get Epiphone Dot Semi Acoustic Guitar that design like Gibson 335 Dot from 1958 to start me off again. This can be bought for $200 but would it be like copy in same of Epiphone EA-250 in quality wise.

post-73881-050181200 1441831508_thumb.jpg

Best Wishes To All

Interesting. Never seen a black one before, thanks for posting that.

And good luck to the seller wanting nearly 600 bucks, and more for the gig bag. (And stand.)

Your welcome, vomer and yes, his asking price is stupid high for what it is.

Archived