Gibson Brands Forums

Repair my '96 special or buy new?

I have a 1996 Epi LP special, serial y6122494. It needs a new nut, new jack plate, and one of the pickup switch settings doesn't work.

Is there any reason to keep this guitar instead of buying a new one? My biggest fear is buying a melody maker dual pickup for like 400$ just to find out its pretty much the exact same guitar.

What would your choice be between either repairing this special, buying a new special, buying a lp-100 , buying a G-400, or buying the gibson melody maker?

The obvious choice would seem like the 400$ melody maker, but isnt it the same guitar as my '96 special?

Any help will be much appreciated, hopefully this isnt too dumb of a question. Thanks!

I'm not sure how a $400 melody maker is the obvious choice. If you want a new guitar that's one thing.. but repairing will be very cheap.

Jack plate: $1 for plastic or $9 for metal at stewmac. You can install this yourself.

Switch: You can probably fix this yourself, but a new one is $12 at stewmac. You can probably install this yourself.

Nut: You can get a blank for $5 or a shaped one for $9. You'll probably want a tech to install, maybe another $50-$100 unless he's ripping you off.

This is like saying your car has a flat tire, a burnt-out headlight and needs a new tailpipe. Repair is the way to go unless you just want a new one.

Its got the bolt on neck. If I had someone do the nut fix for me, the repair price would already be approaching a new special, and if that were the case I'd rather just drop a few hundred on a brand new guitar. Although, it was my first electric, and DAve grohl said he would play it on stage. He taught me my first power chord. I'm guessing the bolt on neck means its a piece of crap? I guess I'll spend 20 bucks on parts and try to repair it myself and get a melody or 400.

That was at my house. He told us a story about how he was doing a Nirvana concert in Germany while the entire band was **** faced. He said it was the worst concert they ever played, but the German crowd didn't notice. At the end of the show someone(cant remember if he did it) threw a bass up into the air and hit it with a guitar, and a piece flew off and hit an audience member in the mouth. The dude that got hit took them to court to pay for the dental work, but nothing more.

As has been said, it won't cost much to fix yours. If you've got $400 to spend don't waste it on a Melody Maker. Consider an Epi LP Studio (for $350) or an Epi Dot (the best quality guitar you can buy for under $400 hands down).

They're both a lot better guitars than the MM.

Archived