Gibson Brands Forums

Need a string suggestion

pingber

I just purchased a Wildkat Limited (love it) to replace my Affinity Strat .... the strings that are on it are played out (it was a demo model ... last one in the store) ... I just put on a set of Slinky .10's and am not really happy with them ... aside from sounding somewhat tinny, the rattle a bit too. SO, what are your suggestions for a really good set of strings? I'm looking for a warmer sound, but love the way those P-90's stand up and roar too ... any ideas?

TIA

I never liked Fender Super Bullets or Super 250s, too warm, not bright enough. Can't stand the tone on them but you might like 'em more, dunno. $4 for a pack anyway.

I love DR strings because they're bright as hell. I just put on new hi-beams. Probably NOT what you're looking for.

I have some GHS boomers I haven't tried, anyone know about these?

I use D'Addario XL 12's on my Gretsch's and other hollow body's and they sound great. Very bright and thick enough to have a ton of body. They also make you use your fingers, and that's a good thing.

There's a reason so many violinists and bassists use Thomastik-Infeld strings. Try Swing Jazz Ribbonwound in either 10's or 11's for that old-time jazz sound, or the new Blues Sliders (I think 9's and 10's). The ribbonwounds may be a bit dull/lifeless for some people's tastes, but when you are looking for the utmost wood you can get out of a big bodied jazzbox, these are the 500 pound gorilla. I've only discovered the Blues Sliders about 6 months ago, but have them one several guitars now. They possess good treble without ringing, if that gives you a good sound picture. I have no trouble slipping a jazz chord or 2 into a bit of blues. The softness at the treble end does quite well in a jazz context.

Archived