Gibson Brands Forums

New Robot guitars

CodeMonk

"Planned obsolescence" involves making a conscious decision to discontinue a product' date=' spare part or an entire technology at some point in the future therefore forcing your customers to abandon their product or technology and buy something new.

A big problem is that many products which are criticized as being the victims of "planned obsolescence" are nothing of the sort. They competed in the marketplace and simply lost.

[/quote']

Not electronics but...

take a look at Microsoft.

Not electronics but...

take a look at Microsoft.

Yep. It's sad that their buggy solutions are obsolete the day they ship, because the software will start running smoothly five years after the first release and then only in the newest hardware, when the software is already getting replaced by something new with irrelevant new features and tons of useless eye candy that will make the hardware as slow as the computers of the 80's again.

Luckily there are open sourced operating systems and software to use (at least at home)...

You may well be right. The bit I read on Gibson's website says "the Powerhead tuners rely on the strings themselves to send the signals."

I watched this video about the development of the robot guitar on the Gibson web-site, and there is indeed a ribbon cable of some sort that runs up through the neck.. The statement about the tuners relying on "the strings themselves to send the signal" is probably a reference to the fact that the tailpiece has special sensors or receptors for each string that picks up the vibration and sends the signal to the electronics..

Apparently I am wrong about the wires in the neck; I was talking with some guys I met yesterday at a Roland new product seminar and apparently they are using wireless technology to communicate between the controls and the tuners. Now THAT's high-falutin'!

Archived