Gibson Brands Forums

To all Epi ES-175 reissue owners- what's the REVIEW- buy it, YES or NO?

Steven Lister

I may be in the market for a semi-hollow or hollowbody.

I like the Dot (for features, tone, price) except I find the body shape is a little too large for my comfort zone. I came across the ES-175 reissue (web ads only, can't find one in music stores) and see that its apparent design is similiar to the LP with which I am very comfortable/familiar. Looks like smaller body size and of course weighs less.

But, I figure why should I trust a couple of reviews on the reseller's web sites (they could have written them!) when this forum must have some knowledgeable owners listening and who can give me a much better read on this guitar.

So, what's the word??? Pros/cons, likes/dislikes, any on-point comments welcome since this model doesn't seem to have any coverage here (which also concerns me a little). :)

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

I like the Dot (for features' date=' tone, price) except I find the body shape is a little too large for my comfort zone. I came across the ES-175 reissue (web ads only, can't find one in music stores) and see that its apparent design is similiar to the LP with which I am very comfortable/familiar. Looks like smaller body size and of course weighs less.

[/quote']

The ES-175 is a pretty good sized jazz box. If you looking something more Les Paulish, check out one of the 'kats - Alleykat or Wildkat. Or a Flamekat if you can handle it.

I like the Dot (for features' date=' tone, price) except I find the body shape is a little too large for my comfort zone. I came across the ES-175 reissue (web ads only, can't find one in music stores) and see that its apparent design is similiar to the LP with which I am very comfortable/familiar. Looks like smaller body size and of course weighs less.

But, I figure why should I trust a couple of reviews on the reseller's web sites ([i']they could have written them[/i]!) when this forum must have some knowledgeable owners listening and who can give me a much better read on this guitar.

So, what's the word??? Pros/cons, likes/dislikes, any on-point comments welcome since this model doesn't seem to have any coverage here (which also concerns me a little). :)

Well since you asked for opinions..and this is my opinion.

I'm an ole archtop player from waaaay back, and had a chance to play

3 Gibson ES-175s last spring in Memphis/Nashville.

Beautiful mellow jazz sounding archtops with the Gibson Classic 57s.

But these were made with curly maple plywoods.

One model I played had premium flamed maple all over, and fetched a

premium price of course. I haven't had a chance to try out a Epiphone ES-175 (re-issue)

but from a previous thread on this forum and the Epiphone on-line ad it has a

Mahogany (plywood) back and sides. It can't be solid mahogany because it would

have to be carved for the arched back, so I would have to presume it is a 3 ply

mahogany plywood. Mahogany is a good tone wood, but will have sonic differences

from a hard maple back because of the density of the wood... tone wise it (could)

and I just saying could here, make a difference, but not that much.

If you are a purists then, of course only the Gibby version will do..but you have to

shell out $3-4K for those.

Steven, the ES 175 Epiphone is a thick guitar...well made and sounds great.

Like many imports, I believe the pots are substandard and need to be changed. When I changed them on this one I added the "pointer" washers beneath the knobs and revised the tuners with Gibson branded vintage style replacements. They really make this guitar standout better. (probably perform better too?)

This 175 is a little lighter than my ES 165 Gibson (no doubt because of the woods used).

The fretboard inlays are just like its brother, the Gibson ES 175. The Epiphone has a couple more areas bound than its Gibson counterpart. I'll probably add P90 "drop-ins" to this guitar later as I'm not totally satisfied with its sound yet. Those P90s will fit in std humbucker mounts/holes.

Would I recommend this guitar? Yes.

Mfg origin: Mine was made in Indonesia. (I've had several made there that were OK guitars).

Photo shown with Gretsch style bar bridge, inlayed bridge base and Gibson vintage Tuners.

[DSCF4110.jpg

Dan

Have bought 7 Epiphone guitars, 2 basses, and 2 banjos, and I don't have any problem with the quality of any of them, so quality-wise, it should be o.k. I've found that some guitars just "call" to me - I just have to have them. (That's why I'll probably never own a Les Paul or Strat, even though they're really good guitars.) If you want it, go for it - even if you do buy it, it's not a lifetime commitment - you can sell it or trade it in any time you want.

Hi Steve,

As you can see from Dan's pictures, the ES-175 has the maple veneer on the whole body as opposed to the Epi Zephyr Regent which is the Epi equivalent to the Gibson ES-165 and has the maple veneer top and mahagony sides and back. At least that is the way mine are.

I own a Zephyr Regent as well as a Epi ES-175, both are Epiphones. They are both made in Indonesia by Sammick, I believe. Both have SI serial numbers.

Both guitars are very well made as far as the usual quality is concerned. They are the equal in quality as my Epi Joe Pass and Sheraton II, both Korean made. As far as the sound quality of the electronics, I would say that they are typical of the other stock Epis I have. I am planning on changing out the pups and pots on my 175 as well as changing the bridge and tuners. I have a desire to try to make it closer to the Gibson version without spending the cash to buy one.

I have read on either this forum or others where someone has done this exact thing (changing everything to make it more like a Gibson), and was very pleased with the results. There was some mention in another thread of putting lipstick on a pig, but it is a pretty pig, but I think the results would be worth it to me. There are places to get used pups, and other places to get well made components that won't break the bank, in order to do the mods without going overboard too much.

I guess my recommendation would be to order one from Music 123 or other on line company with a good return policy and try one out. If it doesn't suit you, send it back. I happened to get my 175 when they were having a sale on it, and it is just what I was expecting. No scratches and the finish was flawless as far as I can tell. The sound and tone is very similar to my Joe Pass. All in all, I am very satisfied with mine. I would recommend getting one.

Good luck on your decision.

Rich

Dan -- Your 3D photo shots are absolutely terrific..., worth more than thousands of words. THANK YOU!

Epi really should post photos more along these lines with their website blurbs to help us make better choices about what to look for or order. The "flat pictures" they provide simply do not do the guitars justice (pro/con).

Along with other great comments from all who responded (such as the disappointing word on the classic 57's performance) I'm convinced that I need to look farther and dig deeper -- starting with the 'kats models as suggested.

I really appreciate the time all of you took to help me on a model that I can't seem to put my hands on without buying first. It may be right for some but it looks like it has the same size concerns as the DOT (for my tastes that is).

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Have bought 7 Epiphone guitars' date=' 2 basses, and 2 banjos, and I don't have any problem with the quality of any of them, so quality-wise, it should be o.k. I've found that [b']some guitars just "call" to me [/b]-

you want.

I know that the phone companies have used this song to advertise ..but I agree with your statement that

some guitars..Epiphones just call to you.

Call Me

"If your feeling sad and lonely

There's a service I can render

Tell the one who loves you only

I can be so warm and tender,

and my tone will send your soul to sweet surrender

Just try me..if you can't then

Just phone me..1-8xx Epi Phone

Now don't forget me, cuz if you do, you'll regret me

Don't be afraid, you can try me

Maybe it's late, but just try me

Buy me, and I'll be around..dd...dd

Thanks Steve!

I agree, Most of the web sites selling music gear are very lacking in this department...INCLUDING the Company websites of those who make the guitars and accessories...

Cant figure that out...they're trying to sell to people "sight unseen" and yet they provide (at best) a marginal "flat" picture---I want to see the curves, AND the curb appeal of the guitar or gear I'm buying.

Its Not Rocket Science...Classifieds or Detailed Photos, Radio vs TV...which format sells the best? If their theory worked, you'd never see a newspaper with ads and all advertisers would use radio instead of Television :-)

Do all the 175's have the limited edition epiphone custom shop stamp on the back the headstock?

I played one at allans music in the city and I was suprised to see that there, it made me want to buy it even more.

Ever since I saw that stamp on the back of my SG ive wanted every epiphone I get to have it.

Archived