Gibson Brands Forums

8omh and 16ohm

marcbc

ok dudes i just picked up my new valve jr and matching cab. its great. i have a cable running from the 16ohm to the cab but on my other amp a epiphone triggerman 160 dsp there is a spot for an 8ohm can i also plug my new head into that? so it would be powering two speakers with one head? sorry if this is confusing its hard to explain

If you plug the 16 ohm speaker into the 8 ohm amp jack, AND plug the 8 ohm speaker into the 4 ohm amp jack, you can run them that way.

The idea is that tube amps will tolerate a % off either way.. some guy said by double, but I'd like to hear a lot more agreement before I tried that.

However, I have tried the 16 combo with it's internal speaker and an outboard 8 ohm speaker in the above manner and it sounded fine.

Amp was fine, too.

In fact, I really like the 8" speaker over a 12".. makes a nice sound, gives a little more monitor having the combo up top.. and gives you all the smaller speaker lacks in lows and full range out of the cabinet.

my other amp a epiphone triggerman 160 dsp there is a spot for an 8ohm can i also plug my new head into that?

You want to plug your vjr output into the output of your other amp? Are you high?

The idea is that tube amps will tolerate a % off either way.. some guy said by double, but I'd like to hear a lot more agreement before I tried that.

Depends on the output transformer. Most of the vintage Fenders, for instance, will accept a 100% sway either way, but not the Champs, because their OT is too puny to handle it.

Archived