Gibson Brands Forums

Got my Sheraton home from the shop

tom nair

I had to refret my two tear old Sheraton. I found a great luthier and I went with stumac jumbo frets. He also installed a bone nut and the guitar sounds much better. The new frets blow away the stock ones. Ok, lets see how crazy I am

Classic 57 Gibson pickups and complete rewire 200.00

Refret 260.00

bone nut 35.00

I now have a 1100.00 Sheraton. I think I will have another beer and find a place to hide from the wife.

I have posted pictures on other threads. It's just the usual black Shery with black pickguard. I painted the underside of it. Got the idea from here. My Epi dealer said that most guy's that buy Epiphones don't play nearly as much as I do but then I was thinking about proffessonals like The Beatles, Heart, and many others. I wonder how long their frets lasted.

I only play about ten to fifteen hours a week. I have never gone through frets on a guitar like this. I Must have had some really bad frets to begin with. I did not have divits but they were completly flat from bending. Go figure.

Some of the frets (like fret 6 and 7) on my Special II are already pretty flat compared to the rest. It's funny, I bet I could divot them with a fingernail. I mean, you can see the wear pattern looking on top, and then the same thing on a lower fret but much thinner across, then below that it just looks nice and round.

I hear tell some fretwire uses harder metal than others.

Well, I know that you can get stainless steel frets ($$$) but as to the alloys used in regular production frets I guess it's to be expected, as with all else, that there are levels of quality and hardness. I suppose it's possible that if you used Dunlop fretwire you'd be getting better quality than whatever it is the Korean and Chinese manufacturers are using. I haven't seen any extreme cases of wear as Tom is describing but I have heard other complaints on the old Epi forum and anything can happen. This could also be something that varies according to the actual builder; it would be interesting to gather data on this and see where the guitars with the softest frets are coming from (Samick/Peerless/Unsung/Saein/Qingdao/DeaWon). Perhaps one of Epiphone's subcontractors received a bad batch of fret wire... anything's possible.

I tried to get dunlop with no success. They could not provide the right wire close enough to my tang with. Long story. You also pretty much have to get through a dealer. My luthier had been using stumac for years with no problems so I went with it. I use d'adario 10's. I hear stainless steel frets are really hard on strings. Check your guitars out guys. When you bend a note is it perfectly clear? or do you here the string bottoming out on the fret?

Archived