Gibson Brands Forums

question for Ultra II owners

khoysagk

I'm new here so first off hello to everybody.

Now my question. I am looking to buy a Ultra II but keep hearing different stories about the sound of it. Does it or doesn't it produce the "legendary Les Paul rock tone" as Epiphone claims?????

With the LP you can play metal tunes nicely, however I have read user reviews on the Ultra II claiming that it is not good for metal. I want to play a lot of different stuff, from acoustic to metal and it sounds like the Ultra II would be nice to do it all.

No, it will not give you that "true" Les Paul sound. The difference in wood quality and that fact that's chambered on top that pretty much rules out anything like a "classic" LP tone. It isn't bad, but it's not exactly what you seem to be looking for.

As a matter of fact, if you want a guitar that's truly suited to metal, you're barking up the wrong tree with a Les Paul at all. I suppose LP's have been used for metal, but traditionally you'd want a Jackson, Charvel, ESP or something of that ilk. LP's are better for rock & blues.

Ted Nugent uses a Gibson Byrdland, Tony Iommi uses an SG, Yngwie uses s Strat, Dimebag used a Dean, Page uses an LP, John 5 uses a Tele, ........my point, they all play some sort of metal, and they all use different guitars.

You need to decide what guitar is right for you, and then play whatever you want on it. With the right overdrive and amp you can play metal on anything.

And for that acoustic sound?

Get an acoustic.

Welcome to the forum.

Maybe it's just a matter of taste or perspective, but I don't consider the licks Dave is playing there to be metal. A few quick scale runs, yeah, but it still sounds more like blues derived rock to me.

On the other hand, if the tone he's demonstrating in that clip is what you want, then you'd be much happier with an LP standard than an Ultra. I have two, and what Dave is showing you is a pretty accurate picture of the sound you can expect right out of the box (obviously with a little OD/Distortion).

If you want to play metal with that sound, go for it! It's just "fatter" than one would expect for that style.

Brad, you just illustrated what I was referring to about perception...I never considered Nugent or Page metal (in my mind, that's "hard rock"), and Iommi somewhere in the middle, though you could successfully argue he's the godfather of heavy metal.

As they say, "What's in a word?"

Only trouble is, if we're not all on the same page with terminology, that's where the confusion comes in.

I suppose LP's have been used for metal' date=' but traditionally you'd want a Jackson, Charvel, ESP or something of that ilk. LP's are better for rock & blues. [/quote']

I have a friend who won't touch Ibanez because he associates every Ibanez solid body with extra heavy metal. I'd like to see someone shred on a hollow body once myself... I've got a thing for picking a style and playing it on the wrong instrument.

I guess I should have been more clear. About the acoustic-I do own an acoustic, I just like having that in the Ultra II. Its not that important, just a nice feature. I guess I should have asked if I can get the same sound out of the Ultra II that I can get out of the standard.

Second, I know people might argue that the video of David Taub with the LP Standard might not be metal but it's pretty much the sound I like. I grew up with Metallica and Iron Maiden, so that's what I'm talking about when I talk metal.

I do appreciate all your opinions and help. This is all pretty new to me and just need to be pointed in the right direction. Any opinions on the Prophecy GX?

Forget anything like an acoustic sound from the Ultra. I've tried 3 of them and can not isolate the nanomag pup on any of them. All I get is "mud" when mixed with the HBs.

If you want the same sound you'd get from a Standard, you'd have to kill the nanomag (which pretty much defeats the point of having an Ultra II in the first place). Buy a Standard with a quilted top if you like the Ultra's looks.

I can't argue with your taste in the Standard's tone. It certainly fits several musical genres equally well and accounts for the LP's enduring popularity.

You'd have to ask RotcanX about the Prophecy guitars. I seem to remember him posting a thread about 'em not too long ago (IIRC, he likes them).

I've had the LP Ultra II for several weeks. It takes a bit of work to figure out all the tones you can get with this thing. I don't think it replaces a Les Paul. I bought it because Nanomag pick up and acoustic chambers have this incredible clear natural tone like nothing I've ever heard. It's not at all like an acoustic either. Probably more like a good jazz guitar than anything else.

I have to agree with the nanomag not sounding exactly like an acoustic...... but it does sound to me through my EVJr close to a hybrid of an acoustic and maybe a hollowbody with cold (as opposed to hot) p'ups. I think that it really sweetens up the clean tones, kind of expands them. I'm completely satisfied...... well almost.

I do have a question of my own:

The nonomag jack doesn't work very well on mine. It's loose and I get a noise from the cord's male end moving around if I don't snug the cord between the guitar and my strap. Has anyone else been able to find a fix for this other than replacing the jack. I don't want to void my warranty.

Interesting, I just bought an Ultra II as well, and I have the same issue with the jack for the Nanomag, it is not holding the plug tightly, and causes noise.

I wonder if there is a batch of defective jacks floating around?

Scott

Archived