Gibson Brands Forums

To Mr. Rotcanx

stan 58

Stan - some of the guys on this forum can look at a picture you post and tell that it hasn't been played for a month and the last time you played it, you were drinking beer...........lol

This is a great forum with a lot of members possesing mega guitar related skills. Glad I'm here. ..............J

I think the local wizards can tell the approximate year and factory by the placement of the knobs, and the shape of the horns and the body. Also the little things like the switch tip and pickguard can change a bit over time.

I think the local wizards can tell the approximate year and factory by the placement of the knobs' date=' and the shape of the horns and the body. Also the little things like the switch tip and pickguard can change a bit over time.

[/quote']

Also, the truss rod cover can be a big identifier of age as they change from time to time.

Mister RotcanX is my Dad. Call me Spud.

I was looking at the upper horn. You'll notice its inside curve is kind of flattened out... It reminded me of my first G-400 which was a Saein (I) model, so I was curious if that one was a Saein as well.

You see enough of these Epis and you start to recognize the various idiosyncracies of the different manufacturers and the different years after a while.

Isn't beer drinking required to play guitar? I mean' date=' really!

[/quote']

My Epi LP and I are drinkin' buddies. Its completly stock, except I removed the pickguard and had to install a shunt at the screw hole on the body and now we get along really well. The bad thing is that on Friday and Saturday night, Epi won't drink beer and insists on Remy Martin XO. That stuff is expensive!!! ...............J

The bad thing is that on Friday and Saturday night' date=' Epi won't drink beer and insists on Remy Martin XO. That stuff is expensive!!! [/quote']

A couple of years ago I found a great XO brandy from a reputable French distiller (whose name sounds like "arsen" with an L). That stuff is good and almost free, under 10 euros per big bottle (one third of the same company's XO cognac).

I enjoy that and calvados in the weekends, Murphy's, Beamish, Guinness or some ale sometimes in the middle of the week, naturally with my Epiphones... they want the real XO only during X-mas holidays.

Archived