Gibson Brands Forums

JC Willow,how's the G-400 project going?

daneman

Well, yes and no. I was secretly hoping everyone forgot. It ain't pretty, but it plays pretty good.

I have it strung and Ihave been playing it for a few weeks now. The front of the headstock came out pretty bad. I thought I had it sanded down pretty good, but after painted it, WOW. Not really. The light area you see is from experimenting. I saw after buffing it out that it wasn't going to come out as good as I had hope, so I took a little too much paint off. I'm gonna work on it again this summer and give it another shot. I have a friend that is fixing my motorcycle, I was in an accident last summer. I think I'm gonna let hem help me out.

I bought a dark cherry lacquer stick from Stewmac for the back of the neck, I just haven't tried it out yet. Other than looking really ugly, it plays great. I'm gonna put some GFS pickups in it, but the stock ones aren't as bad as my other G-400. Other than that, no more modding for this guitar. It's been a good experience, but I don't think I'd do it again. A body man I ain't. Actually the pic of the front doesn't do the guitar justice, it actually looks much worse. LOL.

Before:

SGProjectGlued.jpg

After:

G-400frontnet.jpg

G-400backnet.jpg

Still a lot better than when you started!! Mine wasn't broken on the front like yours. Ah well, maybe your buddy can help as you said. Just wondering how it was going. And you sure can't beat the price!!

Thanks! the zebra's are GFS vintage 59s. At first I didn't know if they'd be hot enough for me,but with the clarity they have, they are perfect for my needs.Good luck and have a great whats left of the weekend!!

Looks like it's coming along nicely! daneman speaking of projects....I'm finally making some headway on my 77' gutted Electra project! I hit a bit of a road block with the new bridge assembly and it wound up being a combination of old and new with some drilling required to accommodate the new post studs....but it worked out well. Got enough knobs for ya? It will be a standard LP setup,gibson 490 PUPs and pots....plus an on board analog delay(GFS). I just have to decide where the mini switch goes and wire it up. The action on this guitar is Really nice and I haven't even set it up yet ...just roughed in I can tell it's gonna be great!electralp3.jpgelectralp2.jpg

Archived