Gibson Brands Forums

Finally pulled the trigger on a brand new Masterbilt AJ500RC!!

YerDugliness

Yep, I've been GASing for one of these for over a year, and they've been out of stock for a very long time as Epi dealt with supply problems. My online dealer (Sweetwater.com) says they can get them from Gibson, I hope so b/c every other online dealer I checked has a notation that they are expecting a shipment in mid-April =D> .

Needless to say, I'm excited. I'd be interested in hearing from others who have this model. The information I have so far is that the cedar top yields a mellow tone, offers great and speedy projection, and the 12-fretter design's added internal volume gives it enough "punch" to compete with those pesky banjos =D> .

NO THANKS to Gibson's forum customer service representative, though. I know this model has had problems with lifting bridges in the past, was hoping I could get some assurance that the new models weren't going to be plagued with this issue. Numerous requests for information went unanswered--I get the idea that if you aren't going to spend mega$$ to buy a Gibson, the company doesn't seem to care if you are satisfied or not. Too bad, this model seems very nice and has gotten rave reviews everywhere, but others might not have GAS for one as badly as I have or might not have been so diligent in tracking one down--are you listening, Gibson??? Customer Satisfaction doesn't necessarily start AFTER the sale, shame on you! =D> !!!!

I won't be surprised if this gets "moderated", but the truth is what it is......

I got a new one for Christmas.

It has a small vertical crack on the back next to the neck block. I did a return and got another one promptly.

The new one is flawless and is my 'go-to' guitar when I don't want to plug in.

I've also polished (by hand) the back and sides with no issues... it could stand a little more rubbing though.

Also I installed an LRBaggs element in it and its a dream. I love playing mine and it looks so cool with the slotted head too O:)

D-

I called Gibson's customer service "once". Told them the flowers were falling off the pick guard of my SJ-200. They pretty much said too bad. Normal wear & tear!!

I called Montana, &, they sent me a new pick guard.

I don't think their service reps have a clue!! (The ones on the 800 line I mean.)

Dagwood--thanks for the news, both good and bad. The good news is that you were able to get a replacement from Gibson, the bad is that you had problems with a brand new guit right out of the box. I'm not surprised Gibson honored their "lifetime warranty".

I called Gibson's customer service "once". Told them the flowers were falling off the pick guard of my SJ-200. They pretty much said too bad. Normal wear & tear!!

I called Montana' date=' &, they sent me a new pick guard.

I don't think their service reps have a clue!! (The ones on the 800 line I mean.)

[/quote']

Paul, this is just further verification that Gibson is short sighted here.

Epiphone may be Gibson's "Red-headed step-child", it seems. Like I said, it appears to me that if a purchaser isn't thinking about buying a high-dollar Gibson, they don't really want to deal with any reasonable questions from them. Yet, I know from personal experience that when people are satisfied with a company's service, they will upgrade when possible. I'm a splendid example of that, in that in the past 4 months I have purchased a total of 3 new guitars (not counting this Masterbilt) for a total cash outlay of $8,500. Yes, that's right. There was certainly plenty of room in there for a Gibson, yet I chose guitars from others. Why? Low confidence in the product manufacturer based on their failure to communicate with me. I mean, almost total failure. I emailed the customer service rep who occasionally posts on this forum and asked if she could help me with a problem. I did get a response to that email, a request that I let her know what I wanted to know. I promptly replied, explaining the problem. A month later, after receiving no response, I again replied to her original email, asking if she had gotten the information I asked about. Another month went by before I gave up and decided to take the risk, anyway.

I like my 3 current Epiphones (a Dot, an LP Special, and an AJ10), but after I get this Masterbilt I really do think I am done with Gibson and their products. No, I'm not done with buying guitars, and had I had a better experience with their customer service I would certainly have considered Gibson products. Not gonna happen now..........

Again, I realize this is Gibson's forum, and if they are reading these posts they will in all likelihood "moderate" (a much nicer term than "censor") them, it's just infuriating to find that the parent company of the manufacturer of some of my favorite guitars doesn't care enough about a dedicated consumer to even answer a reasonable question.

Thus endeth my rant.......I'm done 8-[

I too have been gassing for one of those puppies for more than a year.

But I am very hesitant to buy one on-line because of the comments about bridges lifting.

I simply do not want to go through the hassles of buying one and finding a lifted bridge, shipping it back and hoping the next one doesn't have the same problem.

Due to these guitars being unavailable at almost every dealer, it has made me suspect that Gibson / Epiphone is secretly discontinuing some or all of the masterbilt models.

Gibson / Epiphone Customer Service on-line or via phone absolutely sucks....

Dave

by the way....

2 online dealers (Z sounds and same day music) state that the Masterbilt AJ500RC is out of stock and the expected delivery is August 2008... price = $599

The Musicians Friend.com website states that the Masterbilt AJ500RC has been discontinued and no longer available...

Dave

by the way....

2 online dealers (Z sounds and same day music) state that the Masterbilt AJ500RC is out of stock and the expected delivery is August 2008... price = $599

The Musicians Friend.com website states that the Masterbilt AJ500RC has been discontinued and no longer available...

Dave

yeah I'm seeing that too... shame cuz these are fine guitars.

YD: I hear you. I'm still wanting an EF500 MB then I'm done with acoustics, at least from Gibby/Epi.

As far as buying "Gibson" if and when I can, I think I'd go with the used market and get an older model of one, not ancient but older, only because I think the new stuff coming out of the factory isn't up to par from a years ago.

I'd still buy Epi LP's though, especially if they're Korean.... I really want a gold-top with P90's and I've played a few and they're not bad to my taste-buds.

Due to these guitars being unavailable at almost every dealer' date=' it has made me suspect that Gibson / Epiphone is secretly discontinuing some or all of the masterbilt models.

[/quote']

It wouldn't surprise me, Dave. They do seem to be discontinuing many of their "Elitist" line of electric guitars, too.

I suspect Gibson thought Epiphone's Masterbilt and Elitist lines were competing TOO successfully with their higher priced Gibson branded products.

We'll see if Sweetwater.com can get me one--they say they can and they have the credit card #, it's just a wait now. BTW, if you really want one, I suggest you contact Sweetwater (my rep's name is Mark Brody--ask for him, he's stuck with me through about 9 months of swearing and gnashing of teeth, never got "fed up", always polite and helpful =D> .)--their price with free shipping AND a case was lower than $599. Even the Masterbilt line no longer comes with a free case.

I'd still buy Epi LP's though' date=' especially if they're Korean.... I really want a gold-top with P90's and I've played a few and they're not bad to my taste-buds.

[/quote']

My MIK Dot is a FINE axe, Dagwood. I know what you mean about the MIK pieces, they have good quality. I bought my natural finish Dot used for $250, put another $200 into it for a bone nut, all new Gibson quality pots/caps/switch/plug-in, and a setup, it plays as nicely as one of my friend's 70's model Gibson ES335's. I keep my eyes open for one of the Elitist model Dots, but, alas, nobody seems to want to sell their Elitists.......guess we know why now!

The truth of the matter is that the pick guards for SJ-200's as well as for the hummingbird were a problem for a few years.

I believe Gibson has solved that problem now.

I'm not bitter about Gibson or Epiphone guitars, I wouldn't sell my SJ-200, unless I had no choice. (life, or death)

I think the Masterbilt Epipones are the best deal going!!

I'm just saying their customer service reps, on the 800 line don't know very much about the product they are supposed to be helping customers with!

I have nothing but, positive feedback for the good people in Montana.

They understand their product very well, & have always been very helpful.

If I should have a problem with the Epiphone , I'll let the dealer deal with Gibson.

I will "never" call their 800 # again

I have nothing but' date=' positive feedback for the good people in Montana.

They understand their product very well, & have always been very helpful.

[/quote']

Paul, yours was the first post in which I've ever heard anything about Montana. Would you mind passing on the contact information for that part of the Gibson organization? It might come in handy. I had Sweetwater write my order up on a "blue slip", which is their internal method of ensuring that the guitar will be given a good inspection before it is shipped. I asked Mark to have the inspector look carefully at the bridge, so I figure that will eliminate me getting one out of the box that has a bridge that is lifting (Dave, you might want to pursue this avenue if your local B & M store can't get you one). Of course, it won't ensure that the bridge won't lift later, but if that happens I'll press the issue with Epiphone through their warranty. It sounds like it worked for Dagwood.

Hi Dugly,

You and I have corresponded before regarding my AJ500RC. Mine is a MONSTER guitar. Sweeter than sweet tone, and louder than loud volume. Worth every penny I spent. It would be worth twice what I paid. It would be worth THREE TIMES what I paid. I have played Martins that cost 3 times as much and cant touch my AJ500RC.

The only guitar I have that is in its league is my Blueridge BR160.

And so far I have had no cracking problems that seem to occur with some others.

Mine is just a dream guitar.

And I'm so glad that mine is one that DID have the pick guard. I think the retro pickguard adds greatly to the old time "vibe" of this 12 fret slothead guitar.

When you get yours...ENJOY!

CTF

• 2 weeks later...

An AJ500RC 12 fretter just sold on E-bay for $350 that had a reported lifted bridge and split seam crack on the back...

Folks seem to be willing to pay top dollar for almost anything these days.

Lifted bridge professionally repaired = $100

split / cracked back professionally repaired - $100...

heck, why not buy a new one?

oh yeah....Mother Epiphone can't seem to figure out when or how many of these might ever be available.

Consider yourself lucky if Customer Service even recognizes the model # when you call and inquire about them

Dave

heck' date=' why not buy a new one?

oh yeah....Mother Epiphone can't seem to figure out when or how many of these might ever be available.

[/quote']

My Sweetwater rep (Mark Brody) claims he's getting me one from Gibson/Epi. This after a year trying to find one in stock somewhere, anywhere. Gave up on the idea of getting to play one before I bought it, none of the Gibson dealers in Austin, TX seemed to have one in stock.....finally, it looks like the guit is available, and guess what.......

.....now they can't seem to get the case.....yep, the 12-fretter must take an unusual case, b/c they say they won't have it in until the 20th. If it took a standard DR or AJ case, there wouldn't be any problem, I'm sure.

We'll see--if all else fails, I'll have him jump all over the guit right now and worry about a case later, spader........

{EDIT: I spoke to Mark today, the guit has been in their hands for some time, it wouldn't be unusual for the case to not arrive on the 20th, but the guit is going nowhere, it's mine. YEE--HAW, now it's just a (hopefully) short wait for the case.}

• 1 month later...

My Sweetwater rep claims he's getting me one from Gibson/Epi. This after a year trying to find one in stock somewhere' date=' anywhere. {EDIT: I spoke to Mark today, the guit has been in their hands for some time, it wouldn't be unusual for the case to not arrive on the 20th, but the guit is going nowhere, it's mine. YEE--HAW, now it's just a (hopefully) short wait for the case.}[/quote']

GEEZ---now I hear from SW that they don't really have the guit after all, they had some Masterbilts come in and he thought mine was in those that were received, but now he tells me that it wasn't.

Is there no end to this?????? Gibson/Epi tells him that they will ship SW the AJ500RC September 20th. Pardon me if I have my doubts, this has just been one incredible fiasco..........

One very frustrated YerDugliness =D>

I hear ya Dugly. I bought a Masterbilt back in January and it's been a headache ever since. 3 times to the local shop. Sent it back to Epi in April. They sent it back unrepaired. Sent it back again just after Memorial Day and I haven't seen it since. Customer service is no help. Why didn't I buy a Carvin?

I called Montana' date=' &, they sent me a new pick guard.

[/quote']

Actually that is a problem that other folks have run across. What makes it worse is that you never saw that kinda stuff on the older J-200s. Mine was made in 1960 and the guard still looks fine. BTW, I have heard that the flowers wont hang around thr new guard any longer than they did on the original.

The truth of the matter is that the pick guards for SJ-200's as well as for the hummingbird were a problem for a few years.

I have heard that complaint for hears - would be nice if Gibson took care of it. Interesting though - the scratchplate on my nearly 50 year old J-200 looks just fine. That's gotta tell ya something.

Archived