Gibson Brands Forums

Problem with Valve Jr Combo

Hi,

I played Valve Jr Combo in shop and everything seemed to be ok with the amp. I bought it but I didn't had my guitar with me, so I plugged it a week later, when I finally came home. And something seems to be broken - when I turn my amp I have no sound for about 10-15 sec. Then sound comes in and after 30-40 sec. sound goes weak and suddenly disappears. And then amp stays deaf. When I turn it again, I must wait for about 10 sec. and sound goes off again.

Anyone knows what happened?

Most likely it's a bad contact on the inline fuse holder on the orange wire. Take the back off and open up the fuse holder on the orange wire...remove the fuse and scuff up the contacts with some sand paper or a nail file and replace the fuse and try it. It's a common problem.

mine started the SAME THING - I was told about the fuse holder over at Harmony Central - sure enough thats it. I'm replacing mine with an inline one I had left over from another amp I did - my old Multivox tuber ('66) had the fuse soldered in - so I replaced it with an inline from RAT SHACK - just pop in and out (came as 2 in a pack) - also have 2 extra 1 amp slo-blo fuses - what's the spec on the fuse in the VJ? Probably 1/2 amp - I'm 57 now so reading the text on the fuse is getting a bit hard 'eh! Is a 1 amp OK ya' Reckon?

Since its a tube amp it will always take a little time before you hear anything - but always let the tubes warm up completely before playing. At least 30 seconds, if not longer. You will find it very difficult to remove the back panel - be patient - it will come off. I used a razor and CAREFULLY ran it down the seams to remove any glue that might have been sticking to it.

Archived