Gibson Brands Forums

Nut Files

shartom

My new G****n LP Studio was going out of tune when I bent the B or G strings. While tuning, these strings would ping while rotating the tuners. They were getting hung up at the nut. The nut was not cut correctly. I sent a nasty gram to G****n. They did not reply.

It is an easy fix. You can order a set of files from Stew Mac for a bunch of dollers, or go to a good hardware store and buy a set of welders files for about $3.00 CDN or US. They are used to do whatever welders do to their welding tips.

They are really fine circular files that actually about the size of the nut slots. I have used them before to restore a worn nut on my 65 Tele. You want to widen the slot, not make it deeper.

I did this today to my Studio, and it plays in tune. Fortunately at the Saturdaynight gig, I had my Epi 56 Goldtop tuned and ready for action. After a couple of numbers, the Studio was back in it's case. Never had this problem with any of my Epi's (5)

Yup, a welders torch tip cleaner, $3 and change at most Home Depot stores makes a pretty good nut file. I've been using one for a long time as a makeshift nut file (had some StewMac file but lost them when I moved last ). Cuts great on plastic or graphite, but on bone or tusq nuts, you may be there a while. I usually start with preslotted nuts and use the torch tip cleaner for fine tuning.

Tip_Cleaner_Metal_Chalk.jpg

Just my $.02, YMMV.

- Jay

Archived