Gibson Brands Forums

Another Elvis Signature model

Everdying

i just saw this on epiphone's new models for 2008.

should be coming out soon.

Elvis Presley EJ-200E

Elvis_Epi.jpg

It's been available from ZZounds, American Musical Supply, Same Day Music (and probably others) for the last couple of months.

u pretty sure on that? i just checked those and a few more...and none of them have it in stock.

earliest in july 15th / 2 to 4 weeks.

Sorry, I did not check in-stock position when I posted. I simply meant those sites (which I think are all the same entity, like MF/Music 123 are) have been selling them for a few months.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, here is a rookie, asking dumb questions...

Can anyone tell where can I find detailed specs of this new EJ-200E? Epiphone's site is quite poor.

Does anyone know the difference between this new EJ-200E and the present EJ-200CE? Those looks same to me...

I have read that this new EJ-200E is limited model and there is limited edition logo back of the headstock. How limited this guitar is?

Somewhere I read that EJ-200E has nitro lacquer. Is it true? Because then I have to choose guitar stand carefully...

Thanks for the help!

Somewhere I read that EJ-200E has nitro lacquer. Is it true? Because then I have to choose guitar stand carefully...

!

No, except for RARE models today, no Epiphones would have nitro finishes. Nitro is very expensive to apply, since it is so labor intensive, so it's usually only found on more expensive guitars. Using poly is one way Epiphone can sell versions of Gibson models so much more affordably.

Thanks guys for the answers. Especially Red 333 - that really make sense. I have looked other threads and noticed that people ask Epiphone to update their site. So I'm not the only one who complain about their poor site.

Anyway, I have ordered my very first Epiphone. I hope it is shipped soon, but unfortunately it seems that I get it on october. That's a long time to wait.

No' date=' except for RARE models today, no Epiphones would have nitro finishes. Nitro is very expensive to apply, since it is so labor intensive, so it's usually only found on more expensive guitars. [/quote']

Though it still takes more time to apply a nitro finish it is not as labor intensive nor as expensive as it once was. Originally, nitro had to be applied in thin even layers - giving each layer enough time to dry which could take some time. Gibson use to actually heat the lacquer so that it could be applied more thinly and evenly. Today, nitro contains catalysts which make it dry pretty quick. While you still need to apply it in layers. there is no more sitting for weeks in the drying racks. You can even buy nitro in easy to apply spray cans.

You can also get some fairly inexpensive guitars with nitro finishes - the Recording King Century series, as example.

BTW, Gibson use to charge $50 to have your name put on the board of a J-200 which even into the 1960s were still custom instruments - usually only between 150 and 200 being made a year.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i played one on saturday here in town (windsor ontario) and did not care for it, though i think that with a proper set up, it might improve some. the action was way low and the thing just sounded dead in general. the regular ej200 are really nice if you find a good one. besides, i have trouble with the over-blinge'd sig models. they are nice for a display but i feel dumb, silly, childish etc playing a giutar with elvis all over it. just me, though.

on the same rack for $100 less was an aj200 that blew it away. it blew me away. i am on quite an epi kick lately - i just bought a masterbilt aj500m and an epi L-00 that are outstanding. i put a baggs element in the L-00 and it will be my stage guitar. i may go back for the aj monday. i know, its a sickness. i'll get help when i start looking at my car funny, like, do i really need that?

Archived