Gibson Brands Forums

Valve jr custom cabs??

Anyone remeber seeing on ebay a seller offering a kit for custom tolex on a cab the same dimensions as the evj head? Does anyone know if they have their own website to purchase such a kit? Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

and there's another one.. hmmm.

oh yeah. lopoline.

I think both of them have matching cabs.. with options for other tolex, etc.

TWANG

I think they're both sellers on ebay, too..

No these guys made head cabs with your choice of tweed, sparkle vinyl, faux leather, gator skin, etc. The cab was exact to the epi head and you assembled it and tolexed it yourself. A kit kinda thing.

I would like to build a second head from scratch with a turret board and a tweed cab but I would rather not have to buy another amp just for the wood. I wonder if Epi opened fire on them for the design?

I just built my own cab to go with my Harley Benton GA5. It's not quite finished yet and to be honest the picture makes it look better than it really is but I'm pleased with how it turned out.

ObGHBCab3WEB.jpg

I wanted a Retro feel to it but also wanted to do it on the cheap. I used wood from an old pallet which we had paper delivered to work on. I used a metal grille for ease really but if I can find some grille cloth to match the amp I may make a new baffle with a square cut out to match, the front panel is easily exchanged for another, but I am also considering spraying the round grille with gold paint. Cab colour was a problem and obviously not right, but I just couldn't find any paint to match and this was actually my second attempt. Anyone know of a suitable paint colour available in UK?

Speaker is an Eminence "The Guvnor" Redcoat. I chose this largely because I was offered a new one half price!! It has a huge output at 103db and is voiced like a Celestion Vintage 30 I am told. All in all it sounds fantastic but it has only had about 30 minutes use so far. Still needs the back fixing on, I am going for open back to start with but I may try an enclosed box as well to see what the difference is, I made the back so it could be either. I may add some corners and a handle but I won't be gigging with it so might not bother.

Cost so far is about:

Paint £2.40 for exterior

£2.50 for blackboard paint for interior

Screws £3.50 (inc machine screws to fix speaker to baffle)

wood for battens £1.80

I bought a pine shelf from Ikea to make the speaker baffle £3.99

Speaker £38.00 (inc shipping).

Grille £5.00 (from Maplin).

Total: £57.19.

So, even with free wood it is almost as expensive as buying the VJ Cab but it is a much better speaker inside and I did have a lot of fun doing it! Adding a handle and corners will probably add another £12 or so.

So what do you guys think?

Cheers,

Ian.

looks nice. flawed or not! and my fave combination one 8 and one 12...

I bought a bit chunk of almost matching tolex.. the wine colored stuff.. enough to cover a couple of heads, maybe a whole 12" cab..

but I'm just getting my shop rearranged so not begun..

I like your round hole though.. I think I'll copy that!

I like your round hole though.. I think I'll copy that!

I had in mind the old Tannoy type speakers we had at school back in the 1960's. I think if I spray the grille gold it will finish off that appearance nicely.

The thing I liked best about making it was that I got to use just about every one of my power tools!! The round hole was done with my router and a trammel pin (?. I think that's what it's called) Rounded it off with the router too but hadn't originally meant to make a lip, I set the stop too deep and once I'd started there was no turning back, that's how it is with those things! The grille sits into a rebate on the back of the board.

I do wish now I'd used some better wood, chipboard (particle board to you US people?) is a bit crude at the best of times. MDF would probably have been better really. Trying to come up with a logo for the front now!

Cheers,

Ian.

Archived