Gibson Brands Forums

DR-500M

Gman214

I am a beginner and I just purchased a DR-500M online for my first guitar. I was wondering if the set up is usually good on these guitars? Also what kind of strings usually come on this guitar? Should I go ahead and restring the guitar or wait until needed. What strings do you suggest? Any other comments about this guitar would be appreciated. Thanks!

i wish i started on a dr500m .. lol .. lucky .. the setup usually comes good from the factory .. you will need 2 change the strings right away .. the ones that come on it are dull and crappy .. i suggest elixer nanowebs phosphor bronze lights .. they are what i use on my dr500r .. also when you change your strings .. if you want .. you can take out your saddle and take out the shim under it and replace your saddle and your action will be nice and low .. good luck .. keep practicing

Hi -

When I purchased my DR-500M, the dealer let me try 8 guitars fresh out of their respective shipping cartons. Each set-up was slightly different, but not significantly. I selected one that did not require additional set-up. I was advised by Epiphone/Gibson that Masterbilts are shipped with Gibson Masterbuilt Strings, .012-.052 (see previous posts). I recently restrung with the Gibson's as I believe the sound is just terrific.....it's one of the reasons I bought the DR-500M, although I considered John Pearse strings. I don't believe my guitar sounded "dull & crappy" when new.

Regards

Hi -

When I purchased my DR-500M' date=' the dealer let me try 8 guitars fresh out of their respective shipping cartons. Each set-up was slightly different, but not significantly. I selected one that did not require additional set-up. I was advised by Epiphone/Gibson that Masterbilts are shipped with Gibson Masterbuilt Strings, .012-.052 (see previous posts). I recently restrung with the Gibson's as I believe the sound is just terrific.....it's one of the reasons I bought the DR-500M, although I considered John Pearse strings. I don't believe my guitar sounded "dull & crappy" when new.

Regards [/quote']

no offense to gibson strings .. but when i got mines .. the strings were like all dull and old looking and when i went to loosen them off the b string broke on me .. i must of had one that was sitting around for awhile

I do think Timmyetc. got one that had been sitting around for a while. Man, how many otherwise lovely pieces of furniture I've played in a store that had just had the strings left on WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too long! The guitar--and this includes all the recognizable high-end brands--just sounds like poo!

Meanwhile, you are one lucky puppy to have this for a first guitar! You've got a head start on a lot of the rest of us! Meself, I think the mahogany just may give you a better all-around sound than the rosewood--and I've got a rosewood Masterbilt! Go to it, man!

Thanks for all of the comments. I guess I'll go to GC and pick up a set of the Gibson Masterbilt's and Elixer lights. Should I attempt to remove the saddle and remove the shim myself or have someone do it for me? Is it a fairly simple process?

I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas! The guitar should arrive on Wednesday or Thursday this week. I'll post a pic when I get it. I'm sure I'll have more questions. Thanks for the help!

Hi -

Consider perhaps playing it a bit when you receive it, then if you feel any any adjustments are necessary, take it to an experienced luthier. As a beginner with his first guitar (and a very nice one at that), you might want to talk to, and watch, someone who does that type of work for a living. Some of the guitars I played fresh out of the carton had buzzing strings (low action) which may have required a saddle adjustment, or something else. Enjoy your new guitar.

Regards

Thanks for all of the comments. I guess I'll go to GC and pick up a set of the Gibson Masterbilt's and Elixer lights. Should I attempt to remove the saddle and remove the shim myself or have someone do it for me? Is it a fairly simple process?

I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas! The guitar should arrive on Wednesday or Thursday this week. I'll post a pic when I get it. I'm sure I'll have more questions. Thanks for the help!

i dont think you can buy gibson strings from the store .. i believe you have to buy it from gibson themselves .. removing the shim is as easier than tying your shoelace lol .. just remove your strings .. take the saddle out .. but remember which way it went in .. than just lift out the shim .. its a piece of paperlike material .. then replace your saddle back and restring your guitar ... then if you get fret buzz or anything then put the shim back .. but i think ull be better off without the shim in there .. lower action means easier playing for you such as barre chords ect pm me if you have any questions .. good luck

Hi -

Guitar Center (not a plug) and other music stores sell Gibson strings - consider using a search engine (G--gle) for Gibson strings and follow the links to the dealers/stores.

Has anyone besides T.I.P. done when he has above stated he did to a brand new, unplayed guitar?? Does anyone agree with that advice??

Regards

Hi -

Guitar Center (not a plug) and other music stores sell Gibson strings - consider using a search engine (G--gle) for Gibson strings and follow the links to the dealers/stores.

Has anyone besides T.I.P. done when he has above stated he did to a brand new' date=' unplayed guitar?? Does anyone agree with that advice??

Regards

[/quote']

if he gets fret buzz .. then he can just put the shim back .. its no big deal .. i played my guitar before i did take out the shim also .. and my action was low to begin with .. and now its just even lower with no fret buzz

I have an AJ 500R, and I had a little fret buzz in just one place, about G string, fret 14. I added a very thin shim. It sounds like TIP is assuming they all come with shims. That wasn't my experience. Anybody else? Personally, I think you should play it up and down the neck, go through some major scales, work with some slides, chord variations, barres, etc. before you start changing things around. I think every guitar has a unique setup, and there isn't a rule about strings, truss rods, shims, or anything else that would apply across the board.

Well I got the guitar yesterday afternoon and it is awesome! When I was tuning, the G string broke, so I went ahead and restrung with the elixer lights. I did remove the saddle and there was not a shim in place. There is no fret buzz and the tone sounds good so I guess the set up is pretty good.

I learned my first song last night, Everlong by Foo Fighters and started working on Wonderwall by Oasis. Wow... my fingers are sore today!! Guitar lessons on utube are very cool. Any other suggestions for online lessons?

I was wondering about the guitar humidifier that came with the guitar. I live in Dallas, Texas and humidity isn't a huge issue as far as I know. Do I need to use the humidifier? If so, How often? Do I need to squeze it between the strings or is it Ok as long as it's resting in the sound hole?

Well I got the guitar yesterday afternoon and it is awesome! When I was tuning' date=' the G string broke, so I went ahead and restrung with the elixer lights. I did remove the saddle and there was not a shim in place. There is no fret buzz and the tone sounds good so I guess the set up is pretty good.

I learned my first song last night, Everlong by Foo Fighters and started working on Wonderwall by Oasis. Wow... my fingers are sore today!! Guitar lessons on utube are very cool. Any other suggestions for online lessons?

I was wondering about the guitar humidifier that came with the guitar. I live in Dallas, Texas and humidity isn't a huge issue as far as I know. Do I need to use the humidifier? If so, How often? Do I need to squeze it between the strings or is it Ok as long as it's resting in the sound hole?[/quote']

hooray !! .. thats good that your motivated .. i live in south florida and i was worried about my humidity so i bought a gauge and its always steady at 47-50 so i never use my humidifier .. you can pick up yourself a hygrometer so your mind can be at ease .. at ultimate-guitar.com there are alot of useful information on those forums and alot of theory talk also .. good luck buddy.. keep on rocking

Archived