Gibson Brands Forums

Best Value Solid Top

essessemm

I was thinking only solid top. -- I love my Epi electric and want to pick up an acoustic, but wanted some feedback before I head to the store. My budget is limited, and that's why I only said solid top.

Thanks for the replies so far.

I checked some reviews on the AJ200S --they look good. Can this guitar really play that well for $200? Based on reviews it seems like a steal.

I love the look of the AJ500M -- $450 with solid top, back and sides.... nice. I'd love to hear how this one sounds.

Any opinion on how each of these play?

I played an AJ200s just the other day, at GC. Almost bought it, but talked myself out of it. Now I'm thinking about going back to get it.

It played, & sounded great. The burst finish was really well done. The only problem I could find was, "I don't need it"!!

Maybe I shouldn't let a little thing like common sense, cloud my judgment?

It was on sale for $167.00 & of course the sale is over now.

i have played the aj500r and aj500m and the dr500r and the dr500m .. all those guitars are so cheap for the quailty and sound your getting .. i believe they are the best acoustics for under a grand .. i personally like the dr500r the best and that is what i own .. but the other three are very good .. if you are on a budget go the mahogany versions are $150 less than the rosewood .. i personally like the bass punch that rosewood delivers .. but thats just my opinion .. if you can afford a masterbilt i strongly recommend you buy it .. it may be the last acoustic you buy .. if you get the aj200s you might eventually want to upgrade it in the future .. best of luck to you .. but i hear that aj500 have problems with bridge lift .. something with the design flaw .. but the aj has a little bit more volume then the dr500 but i dont find it necessary for myself as i only play at home for fun .. i love the feel and look of a dreadnought

I played an AJ200s just the other day' date=' at GC. Almost bought it, but talked myself out of it. Now I'm thinking about going back to get it.

It played, & sounded great. The burst finish was really well done. The only problem I could find was, "I don't need it"!!

Maybe I shouldn't let a little thing like common sense, cloud my judgment?

It was on sale for $167.00 & of course the sale is over now.[/quote']

If it was a China AJ200SE one I hear you. Was in GC Sunday after 4th of July sale and they had one for $199. Played them in the past but didn't think much. This was a China one and had a nice deep sunburst and really played well. They also had an Indonesian plain AJ200S, also $199, lighter burst and played that ... yuck! sounded like plastic plywood.

Almost bought the MIC one but stopped to think I really don't need this and left.

• 1 month later...

Got me a DR-500M last night!!!

It's a sweet little instrument. I was going back and forth between the AJ and this, but the DR has a few more little details that I loved: split diamond fret markers and stripe inlay on back and bottom of the body.

Archived