Gibson Brands Forums

Current Project

snookelputz

I thought some among you might like to see these - started life as a 2nd, thought it might be solid wood with a knot because of a spot on the lower edge that looked like a bad bondo repair. This is what I found:

FirstSandingAterPaintRemoval001.jpg

After 1st complete sanding - it was a knot, and its wood filler, but its a nasty thing

FirstSandingAterPaintRemoval002.jpg

The back is almost plain, but nice.

FirstSandingAterPaintRemoval003.jpg

The good side - note that it is capped front and back. I rather like the filler better, but no choice.

FirstSandingAterPaintRemoval004.jpg

I count SIX separate pieces of wood! Eight counting the 2 caps.

FirstSandingAterPaintRemoval005.jpg

And here's the reason I could buy it for $69.

Hey Snookel,

Love what you have done so far.

I am seriously jealous. You are doing exactly what I want to do. I just don't have the time right now.

I want to learn so much more about repair and refinish.

I want to start with something inexpensive so I can learn without it costing me an arm and a leg.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Yeah, I'll keep up some status photos. I like that striping in the top. I don't think I can really call this a cap. Its's more like an 1/8th thick veneer. I can already see that my plan to reshape the body is going to have a strange affect on the finished product. Hah, I may wind up repainting it black!

but I'll have a lot of fun with it meantime.

Over and above the fact of the plug, the guitar had 2 separate layers of paint everywhere, at least 3 coats in some spots (like the middle of the body where the painter might have needed an extra pass to blend other passes. There is also this yellowish coat of whatever directly one the wood, and there was a coat of white primer over this, with a coat of something brownish (or maybe greenish, I'm colorblind) that had been quite obviously applied thickly that dried with visible brush marks and then all the coats of black polyester on top of that. This thing has had 12 hours (one side only) soak in polyester paint stripper, 3 hours orbital palm sander, 6 hours chipping off the paint where the stripper didn't get, which was everywhere with more than 1 coat of black.

Archived