Gibson Brands Forums

The Les Paul Prophecy EX

The_Sentry

I have to admit...when I saw that guitar was featured in that contest...I did a little research.

10180_image_med_epiphone-les-paul-prophecy-ex.jpg

This is actually a pretty cool guitar! And a definite alternative for someone who's looking for more of a metal sound out of a Les Paul style guitar while getting a bit of a break on the price.

(Ah well...just like the Goldtop...no leftie model...but that's life!)

8-[

Anyways...

Does anyone have one of these? How do you like it?

Review by Author: Daniel Lehrman...

The line of the new Epiphone Prophecy Collection Guitars features four distinct shapes that all share common and unique features. In addition to the guitar style, the model either is an Epiphone Prophecy EX (Gibson USA) or Epiphone Prophecy FX (Original Floyd Rose Tremolo). Common features include highly figured quilted maple tops, 24 fret Speed-Taper satin necks, jumbo frets(neck anatomy), unique blade inlays, Epiphones new Strap-locks, hand-stained colors and eye popping Pearl knobs. That is because every one is custom. All of the Prophecy Guitars have bound bodies and necks. Plenty of research, design and testing went into this beautiful guitar during the two to three year process of making it both very affordable and playable, like you won't believe.

For an Epiphone made in China, I was pretty impressed. The fretwork is really well done and the tones sounded great. Finish and fretboard didn't look ugly either. Action wasn't even totally messed up, and they were not even professionally set up. Most pleasing were the 2 EMG-Equipped ones compared to the Dirty Fingers LP since the DF pickups to be slightly woofy.

On the negative side, if you are not a Gibson player, if you are not used to LPs or SGs, they may feel weird to you. I certainly found the SG slightly neck heavy and the LP's single-cutaway uncomfortable. The weight of this guitar is consistent with most Gibson SG and Les Paul guitars. They are heavy. And that is a beef, at least for me.

The fretboard dye they used is also not the greatest and with enough playing, a small amount of finish from the neck has been reported to rub off with excessive playing. That would be a problem for me since I'm one of those marathon practicers.

As for price to quality ratio, well I gotta say, for prices ranging from 550-700 US Dollars. It is realistic to say that the market is becoming flooded with terrific guitars in this price range. My experiences with the guitars in this price range proves at least to me that this is a worthy guitar and worth well more than it costs. It feels and plays like a Gibson or in this case an Epiphone Guitar. If your vibe is for this line of guitar, I assure you, you will see immediately why I say for the price it outperforms most other guitars for several hundred bucks, or more money.

Epiphone Prophecy Models;

This EM-2 Prophecy EX electric guitar from Epiphone is based on the original EM design. Features 2 responsive, high output EpiActive humbucker pickups. Unlike most other active pickups on the market, EpiActives can also be used in passive mode to provide a traditional output without the need for a battery.The hard maple, satin finish neck is attached to the body using the recessed, All-Access design. Combined with the patented Swept-C cutaway, access to all 24 frets on its rosewood fingerboard is uninhibited. Lavish, supreme features on the Prophecy EM-2 guitar include a highly figured quilt maple top, pearl knobs, strap locks, graphite nut, Grover tuners, a bound fingerboard, unique blade inlay, and a deep, rich midnight sapphire finish.

Epiphone EM-2 Prophecy EX Electric Guitar with Stopbar Tailpiece Midnight Sapphire

This Futura Prophecy FX electric guitar has an EMG-81 humbucker pickup in the bridge position for great attack and sustain during solos and an EMG-85 humbucker at the neck for fat, great-sounding rhythm. Lavish, supreme features on this guitar include an original Floyd Rose double-locking Tremolo, highly figured quilt maple top, pearl knobs, strap locks, Grover tuners, a bound fingerboard, unique blade inlay, and a deep, rich midnight ebony finish. The hard maple set neck and 24-fret ebony fingerboard provide a playground two full octaves in length.

Epiphone Futura Prophecy FX Electric Guitar with Floyd Rose Tremolo Midnight Ebony

The SG Prophecy EX Electric Guitar from Epiphone is based on the original Gibson SG design. This Prophecy guitar boasts an EMG-81 humbucker in the bridge position for great attack and sustain during solos and an EMG-85 humbucker at the neck for fat, great-sounding rhythm. Lavish features on this guitar include a highly figured quilt maple top, pearl knobs, strap locks, graphite nut, Grover tuners , a bound ebony fingerboard, unique blade inlay, and a deep, rich midnight ebony finish. The Prophecy guitars hard maple set neck and 24-fret ebony fingerboard provide a playground two full octaves in length.

The SG Prophecy EX Electric Guitar from Epiphone is based on the original Gibson SG design. This Prophecy guitar boasts an EMG-81 humbucker in the bridge position for great attack and sustain during solos and an EMG-85 humbucker at the neck for fat, great-sounding rhythm. Lavish features on this guitar include a highly figured quilt maple top, pearl knobs, strap locks, graphite nut,Grover tuners , a bound ebony fingerboard, unique blade inlay, and a deep, rich midnight ebony finish. The Prophecy guitars hard maple set neck and 24-fret ebony fingerboard provide a playground two full octaves in length.

Source: http://www.articlesbase.com/music-articles/review-of-the-epiphone-prophecy-collection-guitars-418774.html

DSC_0501.JPG

Just imagine all the features of the Ultra II (including the nanomag) except for a 24-fret neck' date=' and those EpiActive pickups....[/quote']

...and lose those silly thunderbolt inlays and they'd have a winner.

Archived