Gibson Brands Forums

B.B.King Lucille what's your opinion ?

lostindesert

I just bought a B.B.King Lucille and am totally in love with it.

Traded in a Wildkat, also a very nice guitar but i find Lucille more to my liking.

It's the first Epiphone i own where i probably wouldn't chance the pu's on.

Is there any info on these pu's other then ''USA designed Alnico humbuckers'' ?

Peter

Mine appear to be the standard Epi '57 classics (judging by the white 57 sticker on the bottom). They are pretty descent pickups. I ended up removing a bunch of the potting wax from mine, and it did seem to make them a bit more open and airy sounding. It was a pain to do so I wouldn't recommend doing it just for the heck of it, but there is nothing wrong with the newer Epi '57 pickups.

I totally agree about what a nice guitar this is, and the only problem I had with mine was the stock bridge began to rattle after a few weeks of playing. Easily replaced, do a search here and you'll see it's a common problem with the Epi bridges.

- Jay

Thanks bug music, i was aware of the problems with the stock Epi bridges.

Gotoh makes a nice replacement bridge and tailpiece, wanted to chance the fine-tune tailpiece

with a normal one anyway. Also noticed the wax when adjusting the polepieces.

Peter

Don't have an Epi "Lucille," but I do own the Gibson version. Awesome guitar!

I have played some Epi versions, and they're really nice guitars, as well! I'm sure, you'll

be quite happy, with it. Could always change out the pickups, later, if you decide

they're not what you want. But, the ones I've played were fine, really. A Good/Great

Amp, is more critical, IMHO.

CB

Don't have an Epi "Lucille' date='" but I do own the Gibson version. Awesome guitar!

I have played some Epi versions, and they're really nice guitars, as well! I'm sure, you'll

be quite happy, with it. Could always change out the pickups, later, if you decide

they're not what you want. But, the ones I've played were fine, really. A Good/Great

Amp, is more critical, IMHO.

CB[/quote']

You're right about using a good/great amp, Lucille sounds great on my VOX AC15 ( a good amp ).

You're right about using a good/great amp' date=' Lucille sounds great on my VOX AC15 ( a good amp ).[/quote']

Yeah, Vox AC-15's and AC-30's are great! One of these days, I may take that plunge, myself. Currently

use a Fender "Blues Junior," and Hot Rod Deluxe. Or, a Twin Reverb, for larger venues/outdoors. I wouldn't

replace my Fenders, but the addition of a Vox (or two) would be FUN!

Enjoy!

CB

Yeah' date=' Vox AC-15's and AC-30's are great! One of these days, I may take that plunge, myself. Currently

use a Fender "Blues Junior," and Hot Rod Deluxe. Or, a Twin Reverb, for larger venues/outdoors. I wouldn't

replace my Fenders, but the addition of a Vox (or two) would be FUN!

Enjoy!

CB[/quote']

The number one amp on my GAS list is the 85 watt blackface Twin Reverb reissue.

But i'll keep on dreaming and play my Vox and Peavey amps or even my little G-DEC.

Have fun!

The number one amp on my GAS list is the 85 watt blackface Twin Reverb reissue.

But i'll keep on dreaming and play my Vox and Peavey amps or even my little G-DEC.

Have fun!

Yeah, Peter...Twin Reverb's are great amps, but need to be "cranked" a bit, for their

"Sweet Spot!" Most places I play, these days, won't allow that kind of volume.

So, the Blues Junior, or (sometimes) the HR Deluxe, does just fine! Even the HR Deluxe

is "way loud!" Either I'm "getting old," or the people at the places I play are...LOL!

Maybe, both?!

CB

I played my Lucille through a guys DRRI, 2 words...

Holy Crap !!

I have serious GAS for one of these now. I also played my Tele with Joe Barden pickups, and my Gretsch with DeArmond 2000's and everything sounded great through this thing, and you don't have to crank it through the roof !

- Jay

Yeah' date=' Peter...Twin Reverb's are great amps, but need to be "cranked" a bit, for their

"Sweet Spot!" Most places I play, these days, won't allow that kind of volume.

So, the Blues Junior, or (sometimes) the HR Deluxe, does just fine! Even the HR Deluxe

is "way loud!" Either I'm "getting old," or the people at the places I play are...LOL!

Maybe, both?!

CB[/quote']

Well CB, my first Fender was a 135 watt twin, i've owned a Blues Junior/15 watt, Blues Deluxe/40 watt and

a Deluxe Reverb/22 watt. I always liked the clean headroom you'll have with a Twin, i use pedals for crunch

and lead sounds anyway, a Tubescreamer, Ratt or Fuzz-face.

At my age (almost 52) i use a lot less volume then in my younger years and also the style of music i'm playing

now is more jazz influenced. Jimi Hendrix and the blues are still my favourites though.

Most of the guys I play with, are youngsters, like you...(I'm 58...going on 18 ;>) ), and none of

us use more than a 30 watt tube amp. Don't need it. If we need more, we mic it, through the

PA. One fellow uses a floor processor, direct, into the PA! Gets great sounds, from the Amp

simulators, that way. He tried it, at first, through his amp, but it just made the amp sound too

"processed/artificial" in tone. Direct, through the PA, though...it sounds pretty "durn" good, ironically.

And, as I said, for the venues we play, anymore, it's plenty loud. I could easily get by with the Blues

Junior, but sometimes use the HR Deluxe, because...for some numbers, I use a Rickenbacker 12-string,

and like the cleaner headroom, of the Deluxe, for that guitar. Anyway...whatever works, is cool!

Cheers,

CB

Archived