Gibson Brands Forums

CI factory code, anyone know?

GlennW

I have a 98 Les paul with an "L" serial # built in korea at unknown factory,so its not unheard of to have a letter that not listed. But the CI does make one think it could be from Indonesia, but 97 makes me think its Korean. Stan.

Yeah...nothing's 100%. I recently got an '04 Junior with an S (Samick, Korea) serial number on the neck plate and a "Made in Indonesia" sticker on the back of the headstock. It had all the stickers and appeared untampered with...I just guessed Samick Korea sent some neck plates to the Indonesia factory. It had a HB, but is becoming a Special with a couple of DeArmond gold foils, sounds pretty good.

The CI is also on a Junior. This one has a P-90 and sounds fine and I love the neck, but the build quality is pretty bad...had to get some long screws from the hardware store to intonate it, there's about 1/4" between the tp and the studs. It's still amazing that they can make them so inexpensively.

I recently got an '04 Junior with an S (Samick' date=' Korea) serial number on the neck plate and a "Made in Indonesia" sticker on the back of the headstock. It had all the stickers and appeared untampered with...I just guessed Samick Korea sent some neck plates to the Indonesia factory.[/quote']

Doesn't sound unlikely, alltho I reckon it has to be more than a neckplate or 2. Most of the Chinese and Indonesian guitar factories have Korean owners.

If I would take an estimated guess I figure they fabricate all the wooden part in Indonesia(being a major wood supplier) and then fit them with Korean hardware and electronics we all know and love....

Archived