Gibson Brands Forums

Guitars in the Elitist price range ($1,000 - $1,500)

JefferySmith

Well, you will still be able to find Epi Elitists on eBay for the foreseeable future so there's good news in that; and Yamaha have re-released the SG-1000 and that's in the $1,500 range. Then there's the Valor Custom, very very nice, very affordable, michaelkellyguitars.com.

Well' date=' you will still be able to find Epi Elitists on eBay for the foreseeable future so there's good news in that; and Yamaha have re-released the SG-1000 and that's in the $1,500 range. Then there's the Valor Custom, very very nice, very affordable, michaelkellyguitars.com.[/quote']

The Washburn Idol (ebony) is about $1,500, and I really like what I have read about it.

I personally love, love, love my Godins. Made in Canada & the USA (New Hampshire I believe, though it could be Vermont) and they fall within that price range and below. Godin and Richmond.

The biggest hole left by the discontinuation of the Elitists is in the Archtop world. Good quality solid bodies are a dime a dozen these days, and made all over the world. But a good quality semi-hollow guitar for under? That's a prize, and the end of the Elitist line kills off a couple of the better offerings out there.

I personally love' date=' love, love my Godins. Made in Canada & the USA (New Hampshire I believe, though it could be Vermont) and they fall within that price range and below. Godin and Richmond.

The biggest hole left by the discontinuation of the Elitists is in the Archtop world. Good quality solid bodies are a dime a dozen these days, and made all over the world. But a good quality semi-hollow guitar for under? That's a prize, and the end of the Elitist line kills off a couple of the better offerings out there.

If they discontinue the full size archtop electrics, they will eliminate that niche big time. Now that the Washburn J jazz boxes appear to be gone (at least at MF), things are pretty sparse out there. The are some Gretsches (if you don't mind paint instead of wood grain on the top).

I personally love' date=' love, love my Godins. Made in Canada & the USA (New Hampshire I believe, though it could be Vermont) and they fall within that price range and below. Godin and Richmond.

This is really a shame. I know a lot of people look at archtops as this precursor to their solid-bodied guitars (and that they're for older players or people seeking more vintage tones) but I'm beginning to wonder if a thinline, based on technology, is actually a better base model to insert all of this new technology into. Specifically when it comes to a guitar that could sound vintage, scream (with pickups that can go active or passive) and with acoustic qualities.

The more I look at a product like the Ultra II, the more I wonder why Epiphone didn't try all of this on a thinline archtop first. That seems to be more of a guitar that could potentially "do it all"....

Hi Jeff' date=' I've been ogling over your Eastman Semi! She's a beauty! They also have the El Rey which my local guy has for 1k. She's fun to play and I've successfully held off the gas.

Svet

[/quote']

Eastmans are very nice, and they make them in AlleyKat sizes. Jeff Hale does an Elitist-quality setup on them before they ship. They are nitro finished, and Elitist-priced. I hope Epiphone doesn't mind my extolling their virtues, but the Eastmans are in the same niche as the line of guitars Epiphone is discontinuing.

Eastmans are very nice' date=' and they make them in AlleyKat sizes. Jeff Hale does an Elitist-quality setup on them before they ship. They are nitro finished, and Elitist-priced. I hope Epiphone doesn't mind my extolling their virtues, but the Eastmans are in the same niche as the line of guitars Epiphone is discontinuing.[/quote']

Hi Jeff, I agree the Eastman’s are great and those that have missed out on the Elitist Broadway and Byrdland would certainly be well served in looking into the 800 and 900 series Eastman’s. I also spoke to them about doing a 2 pickup 910 in the L5 style and they told me that they would custom make it for me. That is certainly an intriguing concept and I may pursue it down the line. Though I still want a "real" L5 and I will get one someday. Here are my Eastman’s along with their Epiphone sisters.

jazz.jpg?t=1220556676

arch3.jpg?t=1220556694

eastman.jpg?t=1220556719

eastman9104.jpg?t=1220556745

Archived