Gibson Brands Forums

Just got an LP Classic

tflanster

I suck at guitar - really stink, but I got such a good deal on a almost new LP Quilt Top Cherry plus a lot of other stuff thrown in for way less than a couple hundred that I couldn't resist. So, suckage aside, are there any recommendations re; strings? I'm looking at Thomastik extra lite 10 flats cuz I think I like the sound. Anybody have any thoughts on something that doesn't cost $20.00 a set? I had some flats on an Ibanez AF75 Jazzer that sounded pretty good, but that's a semi-hollow.

Thanks

TFlan

I like Ernie Balls. They're about 6 or 7 dollars a pack depending on where you buy them. When I was starting out on electric I used .009 to .042's, but nowadays as light as I can go is .010 to .046...and it seems like the Les Pauls are sort of set up for that string gauge anyway. (at least the models above the Special II and the LP100.)

D'Addario's are nice as well. But to be honest...as long as I've been consistent with my gauges, it doesn't really seem to matter much what the brand is... (I think that's the key...otherwise, it's the case of resetting your intonation every time you change strings and use slightly different gauges between string changes.)

Hey thanks folks for the quick replies and to The_Sentry, uh, don't have a clue as to name. Sentry? Does it have to do with booze?

I have a few sets of strings that I've accumulated over a few months - some Ball 9's and 10's and a set of Martin 10's. I don't know what are on the git now though. I'll measure them with my handy/dandy digital micrometer (you may note that I'm a kinda anal - ex-engineer and all). I'm guessing they're the original strings that came with the git. Probably 9's (?). They feel kinda "soft" to me, after having messed with an A/E with 12's for a while.

I was fortunate to have been able to sell an A/E with hard case for a lot of $$$ and then finding the Quilt LP the next day for less $$ than I got for the A/E. So now, suckage aside, I'm starting over with a great looking and so far great sounding LP. Now, if only I had a shred of talent:-({|=

TFlan

Hey thanks folks for the quick replies and to The_Sentry' date=' uh, don't have a clue as to name. Sentry? Does it have to do with booze?

I have a few sets of strings that I've accumulated over a few months - some Ball 9's and 10's and a set of Martin 10's. I don't know what are on the git now though. I'll measure them with my handy/dandy digital micrometer (you may note that I'm kinda anal - ex-engineer and all). I'm guess they're the original strings that came with the git. Probably 9's (?). They feel kinda "soft" to me, after having messed with an A/E with 12's for a while.

I was fortunate to have been able to sell an A/E with hard case for a lot of $$$ and then finding the Quilt LP the next day for less $$ than I got for the A/E. So now, suckage aside, I'm starting over with a great looking and so far great sounding LP.

TFlan

[/quote']

Booze?

What's that? Never heard of it. =D>

Seriously....I wouldn't bother measuring. Unless you're really pinched for cash, you're better off just buying a new set. Good luck...

Ahh, I measure simply because I can. Funny thing is, as y'all may or not be aware, a measured dimension of say, .009" on the high "E" probably means the string is actually .010 because it's stretched. After having tried it on a lot of strings, and having contacted a few string makers, I've learned that, well, forget about it. Get the sound I want, the feel I think I want, by trying different strings.

The problem is, like every guitar player I've known, I'm looking for a "sound". I don't know what the sound is - can't describe it. How do you describe a sound? So . . . I change strings. Closest I've come to what I think I'm looking for was a set of Addario flats. I'm about to order a set of Thomastik Jazz Light Flat 10's next. $20.00 a set from String World plus $6.00 shipping. Heavy hit but art knows no price boundary, huh?

Ain't music fun?

TFlan

Archived