Gibson Brands Forums

MIJ and elitist series...

FrankS1281734010

Those MIJ Epi's are manufactured in the same factory as the "Elitist" were. They are very well made, and finished, but were

only available to the Japanese market, so they could (in some cases) use the "Gibson" headstock with just the "Epiphone"

logo, instead of Gibson. Several of us, here...have a '61 SG MIJ guitar, and they're great! So, by what you've described,

I'd say it was one of that group of Japanese only, guitars. I.E. Not meant for overseas distribution, but only domestically,

in Japan.

Elitist were similar, but with the Epiphone, or Elitist Epiphone headstock, to designate it, as such...and to be allowed foriegn distribution, according to Gibson's contract, at that time, with the factories producing it, and thier distributors. If you Google Epiphone Elitist, or even Epiphone Japan, you'll get the whole story. Hope this is of some help?

CB

Not trying to hijack this thread but has anyone looked at the 3 MIJ 61 SG Reissues on ebay? Are those legit or look legit to anyone. I have talked to the guy and he claims he will have at least 3 more to list this weekend, but some of the pics look a little suspicious. I haven't seen enough nitro coated guitars to know if being able to see the texture of the wood's grain through the paint is normal. Also I saw in one picture that the bridge posts look like they are screwed directly into the wood rather than into the threaded ferules that are typically under the tune-o-matic bridges. I know that no one can say for certain if they are legit but does anyone have an opinion on those.

Not trying to hijack this thread but has anyone looked at the 3 MIJ 61 SG Reissues on ebay? Are those legit or look legit to anyone. I have talked to the guy and he claims he will have at least 3 more to list this weekend' date=' but some of the pics look a little suspicious. I haven't seen enough nitro coated guitars to know if being able to see the texture of the wood's grain through the paint is normal. Also I saw in one picture that the bridge posts look like they are screwed directly into the wood rather than into the threaded ferules that are typically under the tune-o-matic bridges. I know that no one can say for certain if they are legit but does anyone have an opinion on those.[/quote']

A fellow named Kyoko was selling these and some other MIJ nitro guitars. CB, Ant, and I bought the cherry '61 SG, and all three of us are beyond delighted with them. As far as I'm concerned, it is a Gibson SG made in Japan (with a different name on the headstock). It was the best $650 I ever spent on a guitar.

Archived