Gibson Brands Forums

ahh pickup wiring help.

FrankS1281734010

I decided to swap the bridge pickups in my G400 and my dot studio, and after putting the dot's stock pup into the G400, I could only get a really thin signal from it. the neck position sounded fine, though. The bridge pup is two-wire, and I tried soldering each wire as the ground and the lead just to make sure I didn't mix them up. both arrangements had the same result. what could be the problem?

I decided to swap the bridge pickups in my G400 and my dot studio' date=' and after putting the dot's stock pup into the G400, I could only get a really thin signal from it. the neck position sounded fine, though. The bridge pup is two-wire, and I tried soldering each wire as the ground and the lead just to make sure I didn't mix them up. both arrangements had the same result. what could be the problem?[/quote']

I understand the Dot has 2 '57 Classics. Both at 8.5K.

The G400 has a '57 Classic in the neck-position, but a '57 HOTCH Classic in bridge position measuring 13.85KO.

Swapping pickups will not yield a comparable output.

I decided to swap the bridge pickups in my G400 and my dot studio' date=' and after putting the dot's stock pup into the G400, I could only get a really thin signal from it. the neck position sounded fine, though. The bridge pup is two-wire, and I tried soldering each wire as the ground and the lead just to make sure I didn't mix them up. both arrangements had the same result. what could be the problem?[/quote']

check the color codes of your pickups. Go here

Guitarelectronics.com

If that doesn't work put the pickups back they way they were originally to make sure they are still working properly. You did diagram them before you removed them right? If not consider this a lesson learned. It's one I've had to learn/relearn at least twice.

The Dot Studio has the HOT CH bridge, so you're swapping the same pickups - no point in doing that. Throw all of the pickups into the garbage and replace with almost anything - it'll be an improvement for sure. The HOT CH might be the worst pickup made.

The Dot Studio has the HOT CH bridge' date=' so you're swapping the same pickups - no point in doing that. Throw all of the pickups into the garbage and replace with almost anything - it'll be an improvement for sure. The HOT CH might be the worst pickup made.[/quote']

Might? I don't think there's any might about it - I think it must rate as the worst pickup made!

Archived