Gibson Brands Forums

the gibbo faded look?

Stevie Nazarenie

Very light "Nitro" finish, with a matte (or semi-matte) over coat, as opposed to the glossy, near as I can tell.

Probably a light clear sealer (underneath), prior to the color coat, as well. None of which are applied liberally,

as you can see/feel the grain of the wood, still. Just my observations...

CB

i want the faded white look...

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/info_00063070.html

i have just done some searching. to get the finish off a stripper can be used then sanded. a white finish that is matte would be good. i'm unsure of exactly what. something out of a spray can? then i think poly over nitro? job done?

oh is that rory in your avatar cb? looks like him.

I have a faded SG (great guitar btw, got it for $475 with case) and it is nitro as previously stated. There is no grain filler at all, just a splash of stain and the tiniest bit if nitro but it feels great.

I'm going to do a few coats of tru-oil on mine to fill the grain and give it a shine. Tru-oil is for gun stocks and works better than great on necks and certain bodies.

wow i've been checking all the stuff out on the net and there are some serious hazards here. cancer causing stuff. i'm a bit nervy of this now. i've stripped one of the guitars and i think it needs paint. i think white. then some water based varnish? anything recommended? i don't know how many coats i'm not after glossy looks. i think faded is nice enough.

Guest alanhindle

Found a UK supplier for Tru-oil if you're tempted profile. They've got the smaller bottle in stock- only £4.50!. I'd like to see pics of your faded when you do yours TheX. However, I think a shine may look better on a Cherry faded than on a worn brown faded like my SG. I am gassing for a cherry faded Gibson Les Paul Studio you see (as a cheaper alternative to a Fireburst finish studio at nearly £300 more).

http://www.swillingtonshootingsupplies.co.uk/store/product/2880/Tru-Oil%C2%AE-Gun-Stock-Finish/

Alan

Guest alanhindle

Haven't bought it yet- I just found the link on the web for you. Looks like a glorified bottle of Linseed oil to me. If it can be used on gun stocks it must be harmless to humans. I'd be more concened about ruining the existing finish on the guitar.

If anybody has tried it on a faded, can they post a pic?

Alan

Archived