Gibson Brands Forums

New to guitar

dbramsey

Hi,

I am just starting to learn guitar after all these years. I am looking to buy a good beginners guitar to learn on. I would like to learn classic rock. Any way, my question is, Would a Epiphone Les Paul, (Special II, Studio, 100) give me the sound that i am looking for? I have a Kustom 12a amp that was given to me so I am looking for something to learn on. Also, I am learning guitar because it is something that I have wanted to do all my life, and now that I am retired, I have the time to learn.

Thanks,

David

Guest alanhindle

An Epiphone Les Paul or an epiphone SG would be a great starter guitar for rock. However, I would try to save up a bit more and go for a model with a set (glued) neck rather than a bolted neck as you will get better tone and sustain and these would be worthy of any future upgrades if that's your thing. If you wanted to gig at some point, the Epis with set necks are considered by most to be 'gigable'. The models you are looking at would be the Les Paul studio and the SG G400. If you want to go up a bit more and have a Les Paul with cream plastic binding to the fretboard edge and body edge and a nice flame maple veneer top an Epi Les Paul Standard Plus is a very nice looking 'Gibson Les Paul Standard copy at around one fifth of the price. I should know, I have one and I still can't take my eyes off it.

Alan

I've had the special II here, the lp100 and the G310.

I own an epi lp studio, and a sheraton.

For a long time I've said the special II is pretty darn nice for the money.

I have no qualms at all about saying it's worth having, and will do the job.

It's inexpensive, but well made. The necks are fast, the fretwork is very good, and the basic sound look playability are all

top notch in that price range.

A retired guy would get a bit more later on selling it off, too.. 'cause we old farts take care of our stuff.

So, there's no reason for me to suggest better.. better runs all the way to five grand, and beyond!, so when would I stop?

The lp 100 is a bit better. better pickups for one thing. better tuners.

But the special II tunes fine, and sounds pretty darn good. Certainly it will do all those tunes you and I know from what is now called,

back in the day.

The g310 was also pretty nice.

Look.. no matter which of these you buy, if you got serious you'd want to either trade it in or upgrade it.

With the spec. II, for example, I'd trade rather than upgrade.

*actually, I'd sell it and use the money. stores just rip you off on trades*

With the lp studio, I'd upgrade. *sheesh I got new pups, locking tuners, new nut, new electronics, straplocks, new knobs, new pickguard

and a bigsby on the way for that!* ((that's probably a bit stupid!!))

You just aren't going to appreciate the short end of the special for a long time.

If you were a kid, and really hitting it up and motivated, I might be tempted to say go with something a bit better.

But, as I see it, for spec. II money, you really are getting an almost perfect guitar to start on, that wont hurt you one dang bit.

I think the lp studio is a little dreamboat. You could upgrade one of those, investing a lot less than I did, and have a perfectly gigable

les paul that you could play until they box you up.

the spec II or lp100 would always be a nice thing to play, and good enough for a backup guitar, even with no changes.

So you gotta look at that investment, and how quick you think you might learn.. and if it were me, I'd lean toward low price knowing

I could get a good deal of that back later, and hit the studio for 329.00 and not have to make any changes for probably another year after I got

it.

That's economically smart, and I think a good idea all around.

so I'm gonna say special II.. and don't worry about it until a year goes by and you see how hard you've worked and how you're getting along with it all.

Welcome, and let us know what you get.

TWANG

Dbramsey,

I have been playing music 'bout 55 years.

I too, am just starting to learn (anything) after all these years. The nice thing about being middle aged is having the time to do it. If you are looking for a guitar to start on....or something "forever".

Epiphone is, IMHO best bang for the buck......(Pick one)

Be advised though, If you go with a special ll, the tuners are adequate at best. Take a look at the studios.

Read the "Common Beginner Mistakes" thread...Lots of good input there.

Hi' date='

I am just starting to learn guitar after all these years. I am looking to buy a good beginners guitar to learn on. I would like to learn classic rock. Any way, my question is, Would a Epiphone Les Paul, (Special II, Studio, 100) give me the sound that i am looking for? I have a Kustom 12a amp that was given to me so I am looking for something to learn on. Also, I am learning guitar because it is something that I have wanted to do all my life, and now that I am retired, I have the time to learn.

Thanks,

David[/quote']

I would go for something without a bolt-on neck (as was mentioned above). And I would stick to something with humbuckers. I like the feel of the semihollows (as I learned on a hollowbody). But others here feel that the semihollows are a bit too big. Ironically, I find the Les Pauls a bit too small (and heavy).

I'll throw a curve ball here and recommend the G400.

24_01.jpg

Archived