Gibson Brands Forums

New link on Epi site : against conterfeiters

twiggy

Yayyyyyyyyy ! its been more than a month since I asked them to do this in

"forum feedback".

Now it will be easier, and faster, to spot a fake.

Thank you Epiphone/Gibson !

I can't speak for everybody, but i'm sure that most

of us would rather pay a little more, for the genuine item.

Well, with this level of detailed photos of genuine gibsons it sure won't be long before they figure out how to make a better fake!!! It's catch 22 - you can't educate the buyer without showing the distinct differences but at the same time you make the counterfeiters smarter.

Grr.

Well' date=' with this level of detailed photos of genuine gibsons it sure won't be long before they figure out how to make a better fake!!! It's catch 22 - you can't educate the buyer without showing the distinct differences but at the same time you make the counterfeiters smarter.

Grr.[/quote']

True but how many counterfeiters are willing to change every single one of their guitars so that it looks exactly like the real thing even though many people won't see this page? I think it does more good than bad.

GC

True but how many counterfeiters are willing to change every single one of their guitars so that it looks exactly like the real thing even though many people won't see this page? I think it does more good than bad.

GC

The counterfeiters are not concerned about authenticity, only a superficial resemblance. I once worked for a government agency that dealt with non-citizens as part of the routine, and an INS agent remarked to me that fake green cards weren't really designed to fool professionals like him: if they fooled the illegal who bought them at the flea markets they were good enough (particularly egregious fakes were called "quarter-mile cards": you could tell they were fake from a quarter mile away).

Informed players are going to inspect an instrument pretty thoroughly (I know I do); it's the kids and beginners who get starry eyed when they see a fancy name brand for a price they can handle that get hurt.

Archived