Gibson Brands Forums

Cabinets. What to choose?

Hi im on the look for a cabinet. Quite fancy a 4x12 really. Have seen the socal 4x12 by epi with ludy luck 12" eminence speakers.

Any idea on how good it is? I play rock through to metal.

Looking at getting a bigger cab incase i get a larger powered amp in the future.

Will be for running the Valve Junior through for now and my vox ad30vt.

Do like the std valve junior cabinet you can get (1x12) but am thinking of the future.

Also would it be better to have an enclosed cab or open back??

Thanks guys.

Was also thinking maybe could build my own if i could find any good designs. If you know of any could you post a link and id be greatfull.

Thanks again

If I were in the market for a 4x12, I'd probably spend some time on craigslist and hitting local thrift stores and pawn shops. You could even post a "wanted to buy" ad on craigslist and see what comes up. A buddy of mine snagged a gorgeous old Marshall basketweave at a pawn shop for about $100 a while back.

For rock and metal, you want a closed cab.

M's right.. I looked around for some time before I came up with a Crate 4x12 cheap, then swapped the speakers.. I really wanted a 2x12 but the 4 came first...

Then searches found a 2x12 with ox blood grill... Both look brand new; had no rips or burns either.

Look used and you'll find.. remember there are cab's that are slightly larger then some.. Larger cab = more bass.

open back vs closed... sort of depends on the speaker and the result you want. Some of the big M-Stacks had both, closed large bottom cab and a slightly smaller top cab that was partially open

Archived