Gibson Brands Forums

What should I use

TehLesPaulZorz

to clean my guitar? As of now I'm pretty far from a shop' date=' so what kind of household item should I use to clean a standard plus top?[/quote']

It should be poly finish, which is pretty durable. I would think that Pledge would probably do the trick. I've avoided putting any sort of oil on mine (lemon oil, etc.) as it would leave a residue.

to clean my guitar? As of now I'm pretty far from a shop' date=' so what kind of household item should I use to clean a standard plus top?[/quote']

An interesting question...I hear a lot of stuff about lemon/linseed oil and the likes for cleaning and lubrication of fingerboards...I've also read more than once that household polish (Pledge etc.) shouldn't be used on fretboards and on certain body finishes...nitro?? So said, a well respected guitar player I know round these parts has always used Pledge on both the body and the rosewood board of his Strat with absolutely no problems at all..so who's right?

I use household polish..though I don't spray it directly onto my guitars...rather onto a rag..works for me though I'm only cleaning the fretboard this way on my nitro Epi Japan SG just in case...I'd hate to spoil that one. I'll be interested to hear what others think...Chris

I use Dunlop formula 65' date=' or McGuiar's on all my gutiars. But, back in the "good old days," (mid-late '60's) I used Pledge, and had NO problems, whatsoever! Had really nice smelling guitars, too! ;>)

CB[/quote']

Charlie...the good old days for me were the early-mid 70's...you just made my day!! Sometime back then, I recall I actually cleaned up a filthy board on my old Fender Jazz bass with T-Cut....arrgh!! I must have been totally crazy...but I washed it down thoroughly afterwards and then gave it a generous coating of linseed oil. I wiped off the residue and it then lasted me for years.. though I certainly wouldn't recommend that approach now!!!....Chris

Guest alanhindle

Nah...spend it on geetars mate...make her polish those!!

Funny that! I can't quite work out why all the nice pieces of mahogany furniture Ive bought lately have the ability to make make sweet sounds and yet still don't meet the approval of the missus.

Honestly, a man just can't win!

Alan

I use Dunlop formula 65' date=' or McGuiar's on all my gutiars.[/quote']

+1 and +1. I have the nicest looking guitars, well this side of Kansas anyway.

Or you could do like Neil Schon does. He treats his new fretboards to a good wipe with a piece of salami. Seriously.

Actually, just plain water on a soft cloth is fine on a finished guitar. Martin makes a guitar polish which leaves a nice sheen.

I have used naptha (basically the same as lighter fluid) on dirty fretboards and it works well. I apply a little linseed oil to unfinished fretboards (rosewood or ebony). Maple fretboards are usually finished and don't need any oil applied.

Charlie...the good old days for me were the early-mid 70's...you just made my day!! Sometime back then' date=' I recall I actually cleaned up a filthy board on my old Fender Jazz bass with T-Cut....arrgh!! I must have been totally crazy...but I washed it down thoroughly afterwards and then gave it a generous coating of linseed oil. I wiped off the residue and it then lasted me for years.. though I certainly wouldn't recommend that approach now!!!....Chris[/quote']

Yeah, I know the feeling, Chris. There were a few things I did, I'm sure, that were less than ideal...but, my guitars

still managed to survive...and survive my "playing," at the same time. ;>p Of course, back in the mid-late Sixties,

we didn't have all the choices, guitars, finishes, or "care products," that exist today. So, we did whatever we could

to keep 'em looking as good as possible. Pledge and lemon oil, were about a "wild" as I got, that way, though.

I did have the local body shop, re-paint a couple of old Fender Telecasters, and a Strat, once. That was when you

could still get/use "nitro" and the Fender paint was really "automobile" paint/colors, anyway. Dupont, I believe.

So, it worked out, really well. Probably cost me 10 bucks, a pop, too. LOL!

CB

Archived