Gibson Brands Forums

sandpaper grade for neck?

Stevie Nazarenie

usefull! i have a chip on another guitar that i can use that on. i think on this i 'll just sand as it has lots of scratches. i think i'll have to use 2 grades. one to get it down to a good level then one to buff up... i guess the buffing up should be as fine as you can get it. i'll have to do some checking on that though.

Well, filling the areas with clear polish will require that you only sand down the polish, when dry. So you wouldn't

have to get into the neck finish, much further, than just to level out the filled in portions. Usually easier than doing

the whole thing, and risking going too deep, possibly into the color...if there is any. But, it's up to you...

CB

I recently used 800, then 1000, then 1200, then Brasso to polish, and got a very good result. I've seen the Maguire's (?sp.) recommended by other techs, over here in the UK it's much more expensive than Brasso. I couldn't fault the Brasso. Go easy with the 800, try not to dig any grooves.

PS you can get the Maguire's at Halford's.

PPS Ah, here's the spelling: Meguiar’s. There's different types, Deep Crystal Polish was the one I heard of for gtr finishes. Let us know how you get on?

Archived