Gibson Brands Forums

Overdrive or EQ pedal?

bluesman345

Hi All,

Besides learning how to really play my guitar, I was wondering IF I was ever to succumb to an acute GAS attack, what pedal could I buy that would help me to get a sweet, sustained, singing tone for blues/classic rock solos and fills? I was thinking along the lines of a Tubescreamer, Bluesbreaker or similar pedal. Voxman5 highly recommends getting an EQ pedal, and has produced some good demo's on YouTube. He says that an EQ pedal, in conjuction with your amp's onboard EQ, will really make your tone come alive, like lifting a blanket off your amp.

I would also like to get an explanation (in layman's terms) of how a Tubescreamer-type pedal works - does it really drive your tubes to a singing saturation, or does it just distort your signal to sound like overdriven tubes?

Should I try to find a good pedal (low $) or just stick with what I've got. In other words, drive the tubes in the Valve Standard/crank up the gain, use the high gain amp models in the Valvetronix, and/or explore the amp sims, overdrive/distortion, compressor/sustain, EQ's, etc. in my Boss GT-5?

Any comments or suggestions??? :(

Though that may have not been any help at all, it does make one point- you should try the tubescreamers, or other overdrive pedals as well.

I'm not experienced with EQ's but would like to try them if they do indeed "take a blanket off my amp".

I think this is all an opinion topic though... I don't think that your guitar or amp have to sound super chimey or glassy to sound good and have tone. I kind of like my set up to make my guitar sound like a trumpet on crack. I like neck pickups with lots of tone and bass.

I agree with an EQ. If you cannot produce the tones you are looking for with an EQ then you need to find another amp. An EQ can help to overcome most shortcomings of your guitar pickups but cannot help overcome short comings of a weak amp.

An EQ will also boost your signal and provide some light but noticeable overdrive effect without heavy distortion. I have a 30yr old MXR six-band and it does just what I stated. Besides, an EQ cannot hurt.

EQ pedal will allow you to sculpt your tone as you want. A tube screamer does two things, it adds distortion but also adds a mid 'hump' designed to further overdrive your amp. If you were already running your amp hot and just wanted to squeeze a bit more out of it id say eq. If your looking for a solo tone id say the tube screamer.

We are talking about a SS amp right...the Valvetronix? Them two ( or one..I don't know) pre amp tubes in there just for coloring do not make it a tube amp. The output tubes is what you want to push...at least for me and quite a few folks.

FWIW, but I'd also find out how folks use there gear, or where, when getting advice. Big difference between home use and live. A perfect example is the TS-9 Tubscreamer. Nasty mid range hump at home, but on stage you don't hear it and it's perfect for cutting through the mix...IMO of course.

I've been using EQ pedals for more years that I care to remember for either as a clean boost or an added amp EQ. Work fanatastic for either and, again IMO, it would work best with a SS amp instead of an OD pedal. You'll be playing the pedal's distortion and coloring mainly when plugging a OD pedal into a SS amp rather than pushing it...nothing to push.

You'll have to do the demo thing I'm afraid, but I beleive you'll get more out of the EQ with that amp than an OD pedal. Besides if I'm not mistaken you can just about get the same OD or Distortion sounds out of that amp as you would using most outboard pedals. That Valvetronix is a fine SS amp all by itself IMO.

Anyhow just my 2 cents worth.

//edit to add that I just reread your post again and see where you have a Epi Standard.

Check some of the new Digitech Hardwire OD and Distortion pedlas...pretty transparent and very nice sounding IMO....I have two that I'm rather pleased with. Also ckeck out the Bad Monkey from Digitech as well....especially in the use market if possible. I got mine used at our local GC for 29 bucks...killer OD pedal.

Also just picked up a MXR M-86 yesterday for 29 bucks new at our local GC. Apparently they are having a sale on them and are going fast at that price. Darn nice distortion pedal, more of an OD I think. You don't have to spend allot of bucks on them to find a nice one.

This site might help or come in handy for you I think, but still unfortunately will have to do some leg work though.

http://www.oldtonezone.com/

BTW...EQ will work great on the Standard too...good luck on your quest .

I'm with Raf on this one. Small sidenote is I prefer using a parametric EQ over a Graphic EQ. It will allow you to dial in the sweetspot with pinpoint precision. The graphic EQ's notched filters are a bit hit and miss. YMMV...

Guess we was typing at the same time...or adding my edit.

Anyhow Ric buddy, if you get a chance and find one at your GC you need to check this little MXR M-86 out. It's called a distortion pedal, but if you dime it it's very mild...not real high gain type pedal. Pretty transparent soundidng to me when just using it as a boost also. Only 29 bucks new while supplys last...guess another close out sell.

It seems like the best sounding OD pedals I've been coming across latley are the cheapest....or least expensive.

Didnt realise you had an SS amp. I think Rafs right about not using a tube screamer with it, it wont sound how you'd hope. The built in modling on those things is probably the best way to go. Im not sue about pushing an SS amp with EQ, its been a while since ive used SS though so im quite fuzzy on this.

I agree that parametric EQs are better for guitar too, just dificult to find in pedal form, boss did one thats now discontinued, id be surprised if behringer didnt reissue this for them very soon though!

Anyhow Ric buddy' date=' if you get a chance and find one at your GC you need to check this little MXR M-86 out. It's called a distortion pedal, but if you dime it it's very mild...not real high gain type pedal. Pretty transparent soundidng to me when just using it as a boost also. Only 29 bucks new while supplys last...guess another close out sell.

[/quote']

Just what I need...another boost-pedal... :( how did you know? LOL

I read it's basicly a relabeled $80 Black MXR Distortion III doing the Bad Monkey marketing trick...

Just what I need...another boost-pedal... :( how did you know? LOL

I read it's basicly a relabeled $80 Black MXR Distortion III doing the Bad Monkey marketing trick...

LOL...I didn't want to be the only one standing when the music stopped ](*,) .

I think you're right about it being a relabeled Distortion III...the orange looking one. Never played that one before either so don't know as far as comparison between the two. Do like the way this one sounds so far though...for 29 bucks I figured what the heck. Like we really need more pedals...I should be just learning to play the guitar:).

Im not sue about pushing an SS amp with EQ' date=' its been a while since ive used SS though so im quite fuzzy on this.[/quote']

Not for pushing a SS but to further EQ the SS amp is the only reason I would use one for in that scenario....then again anything's legal. If it sounds and feels good it's right :( .

BTW....The reason I had to add the edit section on my earlier post is because I see where he has an Epi valve standard. Sorry....my knot head just didn't comprehend the post the first time I read it ](*,) .

Whatcha mean about that? I just bought a Bad Monkey. Is it something else?

No, sorry if I wasn't clear. I was really refering to different ways to sell gear.

Make a good product and make the pricepoint expensive enough(and exclusive) it appeals to Bulltique-sniffers. Small sales, huge profitmargins per item sold.

Or make a good product and sell insanely cheap(Bad Monkey), meaning smaller profit margins, but since you're selling by the boatload still very profitable.

It's not what I meant to say, but regarding the BM being something else...I suppose you could say the BM is basicly a Tubescreamer. :-)

Not for pushing a SS but to further EQ the SS amp is the only reason I would use one for in that scenario....then again anything's legal. If it sounds and feels good it's right :-k .

BTW....The reason I had to add the edit section on my earlier post is because I see where he has an Epi valve standard. Sorry....my knot head just didn't comprehend the post the first time I read it #-o .

No worries, got a bit mixed up myself.

if you get a chance and find one at your GC you need to check this little MXR M-86 out. It's called a distortion pedal' date=' but if you dime it it's very mild...not real high gain type pedal. Pretty transparent soundidng to me when just using it as a boost also. Only 29 bucks new while supplys last...guess another close out sell.

[/quote']

Unfortunately my home in Europe is a long way's drive from the nearest GC...I tried ordering one online but they don't show up on GC's website(not even sure they ship to Europe). Someone really needs to snatch these up.... I understand they are unique to GC... They may turn into a collectable and fetch a nice price on ebay.

It's not what I meant to say' date=' but regarding the BM being something else...I suppose you could say the BM is basicly a Tubescreamer. :-)

[/quote']

10-4. I guess most overdrives are created pretty equal, unless you go boutique. Hopefully I'll get to try my BM, if the seller ever ships the d**n thing to me. :-k

Unfortunately my home in Europe is a long way's drive from the nearest GC...I tried ordering one online but they don't show up on GC's website(not even sure they ship to Europe).

Sorry about that Ric. Then again that could be a good thing at times I guess. Mine's less then 3 miles away...not good when GAS Starts up.

I heard down the grape vine that the Orange one, the Distortion III for 80 bucks, is also going for the 29 bucks. LOL...I might just get me a second one, I got the last Black M-86 they had the other day. So far I'm really liking the sound. I like the size too...don't take up allot of room.

Hi All' date='

Besides learning how to [u'][/u]really play my guitar, I was wondering IF I was ever to succumb to an acute GAS attack, what pedal could I buy that would help me to get a sweet, sustained, singing tone for blues/classic rock solos and fills? I was thinking along the lines of a Tubescreamer, Bluesbreaker or similar pedal. Voxman5 highly recommends getting an EQ pedal, and has produced some good demo's on YouTube. He says that an EQ pedal, in conjuction with your amp's onboard EQ, will really make your tone come alive, like lifting a blanket off your amp.

I would also like to get an explanation (in layman's terms) of how a Tubescreamer-type pedal works - does it really drive your tubes to a singing saturation, or does it just distort your signal to sound like overdriven tubes?

Should I try to find a good pedal (low $) or just stick with what I've got. In other words, drive the tubes in the Valve Standard/crank up the gain, use the high gain amp models in the Valvetronix, and/or explore the amp sims, overdrive/distortion, compressor/sustain, EQ's, etc. in my Boss GT-5?

Any comments or suggestions??? ](*,)

Assuming you've got a Valvetronix, my advice is listen to what Voxman says. I can speak from experience that the EQ in the loop will make an incredible difference. Night and day, I'm talking. Of course, you'll have to have one of those amps with the effects loop in it and you can mod your AD15, 30, or 50 to accommodate, but doing so will probably void your warranty. Better take that into consideration.

As for the Tubescreamer thing, I can't say exactly how it works. I presume that it is mostly a boost with some coloring. Not like a true distortion pedal or a metal pedal, but kinda similar. Considering you have the multi-effects processor, I'd say put that in the loop and get the OD pedal and put it before the input. Doing so will make the respective effects more . . . well, effective.

Archived