Gibson Brands Forums

Question about a tailpiece?

BlueLesPaul2006

new to me.. epis are metric, but I think some have used regular tail dimensions..

wait for replys on that to be sure..

or measure your tailpiece center of post to center of post and email that company.

TWANG

new to me.. epis are metric' date=' but I think some have used regular tail dimensions..

wait for replys on that to be sure..

or measure your tailpiece center of post to center of post and email that company.

TWANG[/quote']

it is a Gibson product so that is why I wonder. im really not going to move on it any time soon. my bridge and tailpiece is fine. Im going to change the pickups and pots first. im planing on putting some Rockfield SWC in there and coil tap them.

The PTTP-030 is the Gibson part number for a TP-6 with studs. I have been using them on Gibson and Epiphone guitars for 30 years. What surprises me is the cost on the link you provided. The cheapest I could buy one a year ago was $60. Sweetwater and MF sell them in chrome for $101 and $119 respectively. Gold, usually a few bucks more.

Some forum members have expressed that they just pop on to their Epis. Others, like myself, have had no such luck.

The alternative is one of three: 1. replace bushings and studs. (a real pain)...2. File down the inside of the recievers on the tailpiece to match the studs on your Epi. (many seem to have gone this route)....3. Turn the smooth part of the shaft (and sometimes the inside of the cap for height) on the metric stud down to the size of a Gibson stud. ( I took my metric studs to a local machine shop and and one of the guys did it for me in a couple of minutes after work)...cost me a couple of beers.

The only qualifier is that the stud centers are the same on your epi. About 3-7/32"

Some say there is no advantage if you have good machine heads on your guitar.

Personallly I like the fact that they do work and you can tune into as small as 1c increments without effort.

Another advantage is that you can correct tuning with your right hand, even while palying, without having to reach up to the headstock. (small advantages at best)

Archived