Gibson Brands Forums

P-93 Riviera Pickups

hollysman

CB...

Where are you getting the"back bottom volume control, acts as a "blender"" information? I don't notice anything different about that volume knob than any of the others on mine. It turns the volume for the center pickup up and down, but I can't figure out what you mean by it being a blender any more than the other 2 volume knobs are. They all allow you to blend the volume of each individual pickup into the mix, and there is a bit of influence on the tone from each, but no more than on my other guitars.

Just trying to get some clarification here...I'm a bit stumped. #-o

And no, I don't find the neck pup to be dark and muddy either.

CB...

Where are you getting the"back bottom volume control' date=' acts as a "blender""[/i'] information? I don't notice anything different about that volume knob than any of the others on mine. It turns the volume for the center pickup up and down, but I can't figure out what you mean by it being a blender any more than the other 2 volume knobs are. They all allow you to blend the volume of each individual pickup into the mix, and there is a bit of influence on the tone from each, but no more than on my other guitars.

Just trying to get some clarification here...I'm a bit stumped. :-k

And no, I don't find the neck pup to be dark and muddy either.

You're probably right...I've re-visited the guitar (it has been awhile, since I played it). I see now,

that I was mistakenly hung up, on that bottom back volume, being a "blend" knob...and, in a way

it is! BUT, so are all the other volume knobs...I'm now discovering. LOL! I guess I wasn't as careful, in

my excitement, initially, in the evaluation of what each knob did. It seems so different, than what

I'm used to, but maybe not, in reality...just one more volume knob, really. The tone knob I've always

understood as being a "master" for all the pickups. However, depending on how you "blend" each

volume knob, in each switching position, it seems to have even more possibilities, than I realized

before. So...??? Maybe what "I" need, is a "junior!" ONE pickup, ONE Volume, and ONE Tone! ;>)

But, knowing me, I'd screw that up, too! LOL!

Sorry...#-o=P~8-[

They're coming to take me back to the "home," now... :>)

CB

I am the owner of one of these new models amd for the most part am happy. However' date=' I find the neck pickup to be very dark and muddy sounding. Is this something that can be helped by positioning or do I need to find a different pickup? [/quote']

But, to answer your question...I doubt (seriously) you need a new pickup. Maybe, if it's really a faulty one,

but if you move the tone knob back and forth, it should clean up, and get almost "spanky" but in a more

mellow fashion, than the bridge pickup. The "blending" I was talking about, and 6-String has (rightfully)

questioned me on, was due to how the switching was done, and how each volume control, can subtly

or dramatically alter the sounds of the pickups...from the more traditional P-90 (Gibson) like tones, to a

rounder, almost "Gretch" like feeling/tone. MY OWN confusion (more so, than usual..LOL), came about

because of inexperience with Gibson (as opposed to Fender) 3 pickup wiring, and volume/tone control

differences from their standard 2 pickup versions. But, I think I've got it, now? Who knows? ;>b

CB

Just to add my 2 cents:

Everybody raise your hand if you think that you have an epi with a "Muddy" sounding neck pickup.

Me, I'm one. I have many stock epi's. Almost every one has a muddy sounding neck pickup. The ES175 I have is the worst. Maybe someting to do with some hollow body/pickup configurations. I have a Sherry that sounds great, and it's compleatly stock.

The one's that I have modified sound much better. All most epi's need is a good pickup swap.

But' date=' to answer your question...I doubt (seriously) you need a new pickup. Maybe, if it's really a faulty one,

but if you move the tone knob back and forth, it should clean up, and get almost "spanky" but in a more

mellow fashion, than the bridge pickup. The "blending" I was talking about, and 6-String has (rightfully)

questioned me on, was due to how the switching was done, and how each volume control, can subtly

or dramatically alter the sounds of the pickups...from the more traditional P-90 (Gibson) like tones, to a

rounder, almost "Gretch" like feeling/tone. MY OWN confusion (more so, than usual..LOL), came about

because of inexperience with Gibson (as opposed to Fender) 3 pickup wiring, and volume/tone control

differences from their standard 2 pickup versions. But, I think I've got it, now? Who knows? ;>b

CB[/quote']

Although I don't have one of those guitars(YET)if it is wired as I think it is with 3 volume controls and a tone control ......the middle pickup volume control could be called a blend pot because it blends the third pickup in......in any switch setting unlike a Gibby 3 pickup les paul where the third pickup is just wired to the switch with the bridge pickup.

Although I don't have one of those guitars(YET)if it is wired as I think it is with 3 volume controls and a tone control ......the middle pickup volume control could be called a blend pot because it blends the third pickup in......in any switch setting unlike a Gibby 3 pickup les paul where the third pickup is just wired to the switch with the bridge pickup.

That's what I was expecting, seemingly, the Riviera to be wired like...and, of course, it's not!

But...I like it, and the (ever increasing) tonal variations, a LOT!

OK....just played around on the P-93 some more. Seems the bottom back volume is

for the middle pickup, as suspected. But it doesn't seem to be wired to the toggle

switch, at all. So, if the other 2 volume pots are "off," the switch does nothing at all

tone wise, and the back volume pot, is just that...volume up or down. So, I think 6-String

was correct, in his description. I know where my confusion came in, thankfully. LOL!

I had never really had the forward 2 volume pots off, at the same time, before. So,

wasn't expiencing the middle pickup pot, as a volume pot, but what seemed like just a

"blender!" Which, in that configuration, it IS...sort of. Anyway, I hope this isn't TOO confusing,

as it's hard to explain, unless one is familiar with this wiring...which I wasn't, at all, until this

guitar showed up.

Whew!!

CB

Archived