Gibson Brands Forums

Barre chords sounding a bit "off"

altair

Hey guys 'n gals,

I hope you can help me with a little something. As I'm working to get barre chords in my fingers, I've noticed that they sound a little bit "off". Open chords sound perfectly in tune, but barre chords don't. A simple Bm for instance.

I've put a new set of strings on my Wilshire just a few days ago, but that didn't make it better. Do you have any idea what can cause this?

TIA O:)

I hope you won't be offended by this suggestion - but your post does suggest that barre chords are relatively new to you...

I have sometimes noticed that newer guitarists finger barre chords very tightly, with their hand gripped strongly around the neck. The reason for this is quite obvious - it is because when you are learning to play barre chords, you become quite focused on making all the strings sound correctly, without unintended muting or buzzing.

The downside to this is a tendency to bend the strings across the surface of the fretboard, dragging the chord sharp. Later, you may want to experiment with this technique within vibrato, but in the interim, it just makes everything sound out of tune. So look at your hand on the neck, and make sure that you are not bending the strings as you form the chord.

Otherwise, if you want a test to see if it's you or the guitar, simply capo the guitar at the second fret and form an open 'A' minor shape...is your Bm in tune now? Is so, then you have your answer - if not, you will want to address the set up of your guitar.

Without seeing or hearing you my first guess would be weak hands...keep practicing, you'll get it. BTW your new strings are going to be stretching for a bit longer. IMO changing them would have not made any difference.

Again can't say with out seeing or hearing, but I'd bet a bag of donuts just need to keep at it and building strenght in your hand....at the begining barre chords are a lot harder than open chords to play clean and in tune.

Anyhow just my 2 cents worth.

Thanks for your replies! I'd be a very happy camper if it turns out to be my hands and not my Wilshire causing the barre chords going out of tune. So no, I'm not at all offended!

I don't have a capo, but I'll be trying to go to a guitarist meeting next Sunday where lots of experienced guitarists will be around. I plan to bring my Wilshire and ask a couple of the lads to play it for me.

I agree with Leicester, if you're newish to barre chords, I'll bet you're playing them with a lot of pressure, which will inevitably make you bend the chord. I still do it myself from time to time, I'm not the most accomplished barre player. If your open chords are fine, then I doubt it's anything to do with your guitar.

Go and buy yourself a capo, they can be fun!

And, string guage can be a factor, as well. Very light strings, when gripped or fingered too hard, will go sharp, as well.

So, if you have a tendency to be "heavy handed," go up in string guage a step or two. Don't know that to be the problem,

here...but, it was worth mentioning.

CB

Thanks for the help all [-(

Nic, I will have the Wilshire looked at by some experienced guys next Sunday, I will ask them if they think it should need a setup. I'm sure they'll also be able to tell me wether I'm being heavy-handed on my barre chords, CB :)

In the mean time, I keep practicing!

Archived