Gibson Brands Forums

Saddles, with groove or blank? and graphtech nut?

mrjones200x

Been looking at upgrading a few bit on my LP and wanted to know about saddles. I have the standard bridge (with slotted saddles) and wanted to know if there is any real difference? I bend string quite a bit so would slots be best?

Thinking of ordering a graphtech tusq pre-slotted nut also as my std nut is crap, well from what ive read and seen the std nut is cut way to deep and plus its got a big chip in it now were i clipped the wall #-o Are these good?

Thanks

Changed the nut on my L.P. for a tusq. I like it. (seems to make for easier tuning) Just check the part numbers before ordering. Epiphone nuts are 1/4" wide. Gibson's are 3/16" and have a slightly wider string spread.

Epiphone L.P. (and some other Epi models) slotted....Part #...PQ 6060-00..(white).............Part # PT 6060-00..(black)

I don't know where to get them across the pond. For those who order in the U.S. the cheapest place I found was

Ant Hill Music... About $8 + shipping. They don't rake you on shipping....couple of bucks for 1st class. Got mine in a couple of days. They also have a toll free # so you can verify they are in stock.

As far as the bridge...I went with Gotoh metric....starter slots. I know a lot of the guys like Tone pros. I am sure others might be more help in that department.

The tonal difference from a nut made of better material only works when you play the string open, so it's fine for cowboy chords but otherwise no great difference in sound.

Most benefit I've had from changing nuts and saddles has been from fitting Stringsaver saddles. Slightly more sustain and fewer breaks....anyone fitted Stringsavers on a tune-o-matic? My only experience was on a Tele.

http://www.graphtech.com/products.html?CategoryID=3

Thinking of ordering a graphtech tusq pre-slotted nut also as my std nut is crap

Even a pre-slotted nut still needs work. It rarely "just drops in", alltho I'm sure the manufacturer would like to make that claim.

A proper 'nutjob' is so integral to a good sounding guitar setup, I rather take a properly cut plastic nut over some fancy prehistoric mammut-tusk hackjob(see the other thread)

Tusq is a high temp - high pressure synthetic. (nothing to do with ivory)

Aside from that, Ricochet is right. Even with a "pre-finished nut" I still had to sand the bottom for aprox. string height, sand the top for desired string exposure, and fine tune the notches.

Not much of a time saver.

This West African Hard Ivory nut on an '81 Flying V looks pretty cool. ](*,)

WEHI20on20V.jpg

It's from Bob Colosi (www.guitarsaddles.com). I'm not affiliated with them in any way; just impressed with what they do. And I've ordered from them before and been very pleased with the quality and ease of installation.

Archived