Gibson Brands Forums

Selling your soul..........but with what?

Guest alanhindle

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest alanhindle
Have y'all not actually READ the story of what happens at the CrossRoads?

The actual Crossroads was on a dirt road just off old Hwy. 61 near Cottonealia (sp. wrong i'm sure) Miss.

Show up at midnite' date=' when theres NO moon shining, and an old man will appear and ask you for your

guitar.......He'll re-tune it, and play it like you've never heard before.........then ask you "do you want it back? the way I fixed it?" If you say yes, and take it from his hand, the deal is done, and your soul is lost, but, you have 7 years with a guitar that can play any tune you can think of, and never needs re-stringing, or tuning.

Sadly, only the guitar that was "fixed" will have this magic charm for you.

Thats why i'd take my Dreadnought Acoustic.........in case theres no 'lectricity.

<This story was taken from one of the many different spins on the tale, from one of the many many websites dedicated to the life and death of the Late Great Robert Johnson>(who btw, was poisoned with strychnine, BUT died of pneumonia as a complication of syphillus)[/quote']

That's exactly the tale I saw on a BBC documentary about the history of the guitar the other week.

I think I'll rephrase my original question in a more politically correct format:

Suppose you were driving along an old dirt road off Highway 61, Miss., at midnight, and you come upon a crossroads. There you see an old man standing at a stall which has a sign advertising guitar setups for a 'small price'. He says the set up, once it's done, will last 7 years and you will be able to play anything you desire.

He seems a nice enough chap and, unwittingly, you decide to take the kind gentleman up on his offer.

Which guitar style do you wish you had with you and why?

That's exactly the tale I saw on a BBC documentary about the history of the guitar the other week.

I think I'll rephrase my original question in a more politically correct format:

Suppose you were driving along an old dirt road off Highway 61' date=' Miss., at midnight, and you come upon a crossroads. There you see an old man standing at a stall which has a sign advertising guitar setups for a 'small price'. He says the set up, once it's done, will last 7 years and you will be able to play anything you desire.

He seems a nice enough chap and, unwittingly, you decide to take the kind gentleman up on is offer.

Which guitar style do you wish you had with you and why?[/quote']

OK Alan, out of respect for you I'll now try and answer your question properly. Enough mucking about...

Well, first of all I think the blues can be universal, and the devil (if indeed he exists) can probably flit around the globe at will, so this doesn't have to take place in rural Mississippi. There are plenty of eerie old crossroads on the 'B' roads around Leicestershire (especially at night). There's one out towards Houghton-on-the-Hill which is especially creepy, so that would do just fine...

Personally, I'd take a Gibson Firebird. A proper reverse one, in sunburst, and I'd tune it to open E, and I'd ask the 'kind old gentleman' to let me play slide on the damn thing like Elmore James in the throes of some kind of blues frenzy.

Proviso: Satan, if you're watching, this does not constitute a contractual offer of any kind! (I pass that crossroads fairly frequently at night....) Although if the devil does look like Liz Hurley, I may be more tempted...

3966_6120.jpg

Guest alanhindle

OK Alan' date=' out of respect for you I'll now try and answer your question properly. Enough mucking about...

Well, first of all I think the blues can be universal, and the devil (if indeed he exists) can probably flit around the globe at will, so this doesn't have to take place in rural Mississippi. There are plenty of eerie old crossroads on the 'B' roads around Leicestershire (especially at night). There's one out towards Houghton-on-the-Hill which is especially creepy, so that would do just fine...

Personally, I'd take a Gibson Firebird. A proper reverse one, in sunburst, and I'd tune it to open E, and I'd ask the 'kind old gentleman' to let me play slide on the damn thing like Elmore James in the throes of some kind of blues frenzy.

Proviso: Satan, if you're watching, this does not constitute a contractual offer of any kind! (I pass that crossroads fairly frequently at night....!) Although if the devil does look like Liz Hurley, I may be more tempted...

[img']http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2000_Bedazzled/elizabeth_hurley_bedazzled_001.jpg[/img]

I know you want that VII don't you!

In my original posting I was going to put a second choice down but decided not to confuse matters by doing so. In the event, I did a perfectly good job of causing confusion without this. Anyway, I was saying....my second choice after an SG would be a Firebird. I like that Epi Firebird VII that somebody posted a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't stretch to the price of a Gibby without having to spend several weeks in solitary confinement in the garden shed. I like Stan's Gibson Firebird V too!

BTW, I bought my Yam**a in your home town when I was a student from 87-90. Do you remember Carlsboro Sound on Humberstone Rd? Is it still there?

BTW' date=' I bought my Yam**a in your home town when I was a student from 87-90. Do you remember Carlsboro Sound on Humberstone Rd? Is it still there?[/quote']

Yes, the store is still there (although it's no longer called Carlsboro). It became an 'Academy of Sound,' and now I think it's called 'Reverb'. It's not my favourite shop to be honest, a bandmate of mine used to call it "Dixons for musicians."

The best guitar shops in Leicester are Sheehan's on London Road (for acoustic instruments) http://www.sheehans.com/

...and the Rock House on Narborough Road (for electric guitars etc.)

anyone who hasn't asked jesus into their heart belongs to the devil, the lord of this world, so it's all a bit silly isn't it! you have to actually ask jesus into your heart and to take you to do as HE will. "he who is not for me is against me." you have to actually choose jesus to be saved.

i don't think soul selling is biblical. ie it is just an old wives tale. why can't you play guitar? i'll play on anything! why don't you just practice? if it's not your thing buy a piano!](*,)

Sounds like a country song.

Well then let's not go there!

anyone who hasn't asked jesus into their heart belongs to the devil' date=' the lord of this world' date=' so it's all a bit silly isn't it![/quote'']

...and definitely not there - again.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

• 3 weeks later...

Archived