Gibson Brands Forums

DOT HELP!!!!!!

Mattt0192

Now i know there are many of you guys with an epi dot...

Mine just arrived from musicians friend and I think i have a problem

I plugged it in to my crappy 10 watt amp and the neck pickup is perfect...

if i put the switch in the middle position it sounds just like the neck pickup position... i think my ears may not be that good....

here's the deal, The bridge pickup only comes through clear channel and very quiet... is this normal or how can i fix it without swappin p'ups?

Okay, I know this is going to sound stupid, but are your volumes set correctly?

If so, try this:

Turn your neck pup to 2 and your bridge pup to 10 with the switch in the bridge position, tap on the bridge pup with a coin or pick, does it seem to be dampened or is the sound coming through the amp clearly and loud (determine loud by doing the same thing with the neck pup - reversing the volume settings and the switch in the neck position).

Let us know the results.

tapping it didn't put out a sound....

but playing it with neck 2 bridge 10 had them at about the same volume

I will let the mod guys suggest a fix. My suggestion would be to return it, but first contact them and rip them a new a-hole (IMHO MF sucks). If you can return it at no shipping cost charge, I would reorder from Sweetwater.

Again, just my personal opinion. Hopefully someone here can help, but regardless I would get on the phone with those jokers over at MF

Each pickup should sound at about the same volume.

Just a thought, maybe the neck pickup is too high or the bridge pickup is too low. There are screws on the outside of each pickup in the plastic ring surrounding the pickup. By using a screwdriver you can lower or raise the pickup, that should make a difference when playing. If not:

Turn both volumes to10, and tap on the pole pieces on the pickups. You should hear the same amount of volume. If the bridge is considerably lower than the neck there is definitely some kind of a wiring problem. Probably not major, but why should you have to mess around with a new guitar. I'd call them and send it back.

Personally I like Sweetwater over MF too. They have free shipping have fairly fast delivery. I you ever need to send something back they will send you a new one the same day. They will also have you hold the faulty item until you get the new one, just to make sure everything is alright with the replacement. They have excellent customer service.

Before you try this, is this a B-stock form MF? Does it have the warranty? If it does take it to a certified tech and let them do it if you are not sure about this. I bought a Dot from MF a while back. It was a blem and stamped 2nd, but it came with a factory warranty.

Taking out a pot to check it is a little tricky, not undo able, just tricky. I don't think you can just take out the the bridge volume pot without at least taking out the bridge tone pot as well. The problem could be in your switch as well, so check it out when you have everything out.

First, you will need to take the knobs off. To do this, use a string or something similar and loop it under the the knob. Pull up on the string gently from side to side and work the knobs off. Then take the nut off the switch and drop it through the hole. Fish it up through the f-hole. Then you will need to take the nut off of the pot and drop in down through the hole and fish it up through the f-hole. I am almost positive you will need to take the tone pot out too. Once you get them fished out you can check and look for loose wires.

Getting the pots back in can is the tricky part. Use some string or fishing line. Fish the line down through the hole, up the f-hole and tie it around the pot. Then put the pot back in the cavity through the f-hole and pull the pot up through the hole it dropped out of, and put the nut back on. You can most likely get the volume pot and switch in without using any string.

i had a feeling i had to bring both out. No it's not B stock its supposedly new/ 1st level. i splurged for the 3 year gold warranty. the guy said it would take 2 to 3 weeks to get it or a new one back so i wanted to know if i could do this without sending it back.

i'll try it and see... thank you everyone

i had a feeling i had to bring both out. No it's not B stock its supposedly new/ 1st level. i splurged for the 3 year gold warranty. the guy said it would take 2 to 3 weeks to get it or a new one back so i wanted to know if i could do this without sending it back.

Keep us posted, we are lonely with nothing to do.

Good luck.

This is a time where the mods should step in and make things right. They would do that over at _______, when I had their guitars and was on their forum - great PR.

If you have a certified Epiphone dealer in your area this should be an easy fix for him/her and it has a full warranty so the fix would be free. Also, it would take less than the 2-3 weeks with MF, which could be a month til you get it.

For future online buys, go Sweetwater. They have much better customer support.

Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

Archived