Gibson Brands Forums

Changing pickup selector on a Sheraton

MST

Had my Sheraton for a month or so now, and I'm really happy with it apart from one thing - the pup switch. It's nasty and 'plasticky', and it isn't firm when in the middle position.

So, how easy is it to change? My main concern is that I'll have to stick my fingers in the f hole to get access, which seems like it will be really fiddly.

The other question is where to get a switch from. I had a look on ebay and found a few generic epi/gibson type switches, but I want a decent metal one that's reliable - no point in swapping crap components for other crap components.

It isn't too bad, but it will take some patience. You have to go through the f-hole. You will probably need to take the switch and the volume and tone pots for the neck pickup out as well.

Get a short Switchcraft switch.

http://www.allparts.com/store/electronics-switches-ep-4066-000,Product.asp

I'm in the US, so I don't know if they ship to the UK, it would probably cost more for shipping than the part also. There are some others here from the UK that know where you can get parts there.

When I changed mine, I got a new switch locally. I unscrewed it, took it out, unsoldered it, soldered the wires to the new switch and put it back in. The switch is right by the f-hole so it was a piece of cake.

I haven't had the stones (or the time) to tackle replacing the rest of the harness.

It's the easiest part to swap.. being right near the f hole.. you don't even have to fish it in and out with string..

you can do it with fingers or using a screwdriver.

I do suggest that you at least try to pinch the two contact metal strips together first and see if that doesn't fix it.

It wont every time, but it will with some and since it will save you soldering and a new switch.. worth a shot.

It if was harder to do, I wouldn't recommend that.

switchcraft is the way to go, though I've used some others that were just as good..the main thing is avoid the box type switch..

they pretty much suck.

If yours has a box type three way.. I'd just dump it.. the fix above wont work and they are just not very solid after disassembly, which often cures nothing anyway.

TWANG

Archived