Gibson Brands Forums

I need a nut

timandbob

Its a long story, but I have a need for a new nut for my Epiphone Dot Deluxe VS. So, if anyone has one, I'd be interested in getting one. If not, I'd appreciate it if someone could point me towards the website where I can purchase the correct one, preslotted.

Thanks,

I've heard nothing but good things about Bob Colosi:

http://www.guitarsaddles.com/

He recommends that you have a professional install it' date=' though, and I assume most professionals are capable of making the nut themselves.[/quote']Thanks, I was looking for a preslotted nut, and I'm not necessarily looking for that nice a nut. But thanks.

no problem.

You know, I have to order a bridge and some saddles.. I could order it for you.

discount on price and shipping that way.. say 9.00 shipped if you're in the lower 48 states.

and of course, I get proof of delivery now on everything I send. No more of that mistake.

So you'll get it!

TWANG

no problem.

You know' date=' I have to order a bridge and some saddles.. I could order it for you.

discount on price and shipping that way.. say 9.00 shipped if you're in the lower 48 states.

and of course, I get proof of delivery now on everything I send. No more of that mistake.

So you'll get it!

TWANG

[/quote']Thanks, I really appreciate it. However, I just ordered it. It was $11 plus shipping.

cool with me!

it should be a tad high.. just lay a piece of med. grit paper on a nice flat surface and slide the nut back and forth..

work it slowly don't go too far.

keep it flat..

that way you don't have to have special files for cutting the nut slots deeper, you just lower the nut until it's the right height.

the right height: press any string at the 3rd fret and hold.. there should then be distance a human hair between the bottom of that string

and the top of the first fret.

It's better to get one high, which you can fit with just a tick of work, than low which you'd have to shim, or can't use.

TWANG

cool with me!

it should be a tad high.. just lay a piece of med. grit paper on a nice flat surface and slide the nut back and forth..

keep it flat..

that way you don't have to have special files for cutting the nut slots deeper' date=' you just lower the nut until it's the right height.

the right height: press any string at the 3rd fret and hold.. there should then be distance a human hair between the bottom of that string

It's better to get one high, which you can fit with just a tick of work, than low which you'd have to shim, or can't use.

TWANG[/quote']Great info. Thanks. Yeah, after I played with the earvana a bit, and then the capo on the first fret, I realized that the guy who did my set-up just did not work on the nut at all. So, the nut was too high. Its too bad that the original nut I removed sort of broke. Temporarily, I glued it together and sanded down the bottom as you suggested and got the action low enough. Bingo, very little intonation problems.

So, thanks again TWANG!

cool with me!

keep it flat..

that way you don't have to have special files for cutting the nut slots deeper' date=' you just lower the nut until it's the right height.

TWANG[/quote']

A piece of standard copy paper is about .001" and makes a good gauge for checking the nut as Twang said. And, you don't have to pluck out a hair...

A piece of standard copy paper is about .001" and makes a good gauge for checking the nut as Twang said. And' date=' you don't have to pluck out a hair...[/quote']gotcha. actually that is what I have been using as my gauge. [-X

i just got the nut today. So hopefully sometime this week I'll have time to start the sanding project.

Just ordered a tusq nut myself as about ten mins ago i checked my std nut settings and found it way high si rubbed it down and checked and needed more then once again then on the final time............Too much! #-o The std nut was chipped anyway so would of changed in the end. Take it slow! Gonna get my tech to do a full set up as keep getting buzzing even with the action quite high ](*,)

You bet. Thanks for the info. When I get it properly set up (he said hopefully)' date=' I'll post it up.[/quote'] Well, I think its set up. I still have minor intonation issues, but its much better. The intonation issues are on the D and G strings at the second and third frets (they play sharp +2). I can tweak the tuning to get it to sound okay. When I play barre chords, it sounds dead on.

So, any other thoughts on how to get the D and G strings intonation to be better?

Archived