Gibson Brands Forums

Nut cut too deep ?

sexygibson

I just picked up a '91 Yamaha FG-400A from Craigslist. I gave $50 for it and it really is in like new condition. There were no strings on it so I brought it home and strung it up and the high E has buzzing in the first 5 frets. My thought is the nut must be cut too deep as everything else is fine. There is a nice, low comfortable action on all the strings all the way up the fretboard. I placed a bit of paper under the stringat the nut to raise it a bit but the buzz is still there. Any ideas ?

You didn't specifically say if you had it completely strung up with a full compliment of 6. One string might not be enough to pull the neck up where it should be, especially if it's that spindly little high e wire. If you haven't already done so, string it all up, bring to pitch, then see how she sounds.

A piece of paper mightn't be enough to bring the string out of fret range. Try a paper match stick.

Yeah Tommy, it was completely strung up. I did notice something after posting this thread that I should have checked sooner. The truss rod was too tight and needed to be loosened. I've loosened it some but broke a string while while re-tuning after adjusting so Im not gonna do anything else until I replace the string.

One really "quick and dirty" way to build up nut grooves is to put a small amount of "Bondo" in them. That stuff dries rock-hard and is easily filed. Or, JB Weld 2 - Part epoxy. That stuff is hard as nails and you don't need to buy a quart of it, as you would Bondo.

I have a second-hand A/E that some jerk popped the nut from and installed one that was too wide. That made a small crack in the headstock/fretboard area, which was then epoxied. It's solid as hell but the problem then became that the grooves in the nut were cut much too deep. Hence, fret buzz on the small strings. So, a little Bondo, wait 24 hours, file the groove with a piece of cut string and fret buzz is gone. Takes a while and you have to tape up all exposed areas, and be patient, but it works.

Archived