Gibson Brands Forums

BUMMER...BUMMER...BUMMER..!!!!!

CedarTopFan

Regarding my AJ500RC:

A while back I got one of those cracks behind the bridge, but it was slight and didnt go all the way through, so I just thought I'd live with it.

I still dont care about that crack, but now the BRIDGE IS LIFTING!! Coming right up from behind.

THAT I care about.

Looks like I'll be taking it somewhere for warrantee repair work. Probably the place where I bought it.

Sure am glad I emailed all the info to Epiphone.

CTF

DAMN!!

I was hoping yours had escaped this fate......such a common characteristic for this model line, perhaps that is why Epiphone discontinued it?

I keep a close eye on the humidity in my house, if it goes below 40% I hide the AJ and a PW humidifier in it's case till it rises again. All these lifting bridges I hear about seem to have developed the issue after the sale, though, so despite my normal optimistic nature I'm almost expecting the worst someday. I watch it closely and even attempt to slide a piece of paper under the rear of the bridge from time to time....so far, so good, but if it should start I want to get it in for repair early on.

How long did it take for this to develop, and how large would you estimate the gap between the rear of the bridge and the soundboard?

Please keep us advised of your experience with this Epi warranty repair, CTF! I would hope Epi would have you deliver it to the closest Gibson facility for repair......

Here's :-k for the best, CTF!

Dugly :P

Dugly,

>>>"How long did it take for this to develop,..."<<<

I noticed it last night after I came home from work. If I remember correctly I got it a couple of years ago.

>>>>"and how large would you estimate the gap between the rear of the bridge and the soundboard?"

Very slight. You could push a piece of paper into it but a credit card would'nt come close to going in there.

>>>Please keep us advised of your experience with this Epi warranty repair, CTF!

Will do.

>>>>I would hope Epi would have you deliver it to the closest Gibson facility for repair<<<<<

Well, I was hoping that the place I bought it could do the work. I'd much rather do that than have to deal with boxing it up, paying postage, etc.

I'll be calling them in a few minutes to find out.

CTF

Well, well well. Here is some interesting news.

I just got back from the store where I bought it. They checked and all my information was recieved that I had to send to qualify for warrentee work, and they said they can do it.

But then he said "They might not pay us, though...but I think I can talk them into it".

TALK THEM INTO IT???

I said "They wont honor their warrantee?

Apparently they have had some problems with Epiphone honoring their warrentee.

Thats very disappointing. A company should honor their warrantee. I'm not blaming the store at all. They have been great. Its not their fault, the fault would be with Epiphone if they dont honor their warrantee.

They said they should know within a couple of days, and will call me.

CTF

Well' date=' well well. Here is some interesting news.

I just got back from the store where I bought it. They checked and all my information was recieved that I had to send to qualify for warrentee work, and they said they can do it.

But then he said "They might not pay us, though...but I think I can talk them into it".

TALK THEM INTO IT???

I said "They wont honor their warrantee?

Apparently they have had some problems with Epiphone honoring their warrentee.

Thats very disappointing. A company should honor their warrantee. I'm not blaming the store at all. They have been great. Its not their fault, the fault would be with Epiphone if they dont honor their warrantee.

They said they should know within a couple of days, and will call me.

CTF[/quote']

Call the Gibson Service number first. They will either authorize the warranty work at the store in advance, or, depending on the problem, have you send your guitar to Gibson. It could be that the store had problems in the past because they did not get authorization beforehand, or performed work that Gibson would rather they didn't attempt. I have had a couple of minor repairs made on various guitars by Gibson under warranty, and they have been more than fair and gracious. They even performed non-warranty work for free on an occassion. I wouldn't worry.

Red 333

• 2 weeks later...

Well, they've had it almost a week, which is probably a good sign. If there was some problem they surely would have called by now about it.

I'll give them a call tomorrrow and see if they have gotten to it yet. They may be backed up with repair work.

One thing for sure...when I pick it up I'm going to get humidifiers for all of my guitar cases. They told me that sometimes that causes bridges to lift. I've never used them before, but I'll probably start now.

CTF

Archived